Vijeo Web Gate write variables.

Pencil

Hi ,
Can anyone help me with altering variables on screen when viewed with Web Gate.
The screen is a HMIS5T with HMIS85 Display.
Security is enabled and user has Web Gate/Web Server set as Read/Write.
The variables are also defined as Sharing = Read/Write.
I keep getting the message "Attempted IO operation (write) on a READONLY variable."
I have done this plenty of times with XBTGT5000 screens and they work fine.
I have gone over both setups and they appear the same. Have I missed something or is there a limitation with writing variables the HMIS5T panels?
Cheers Peter.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Pencil said:
...Security is enabled and user has Web Gate/Web Server set as Read/Write...

Technically, it's the Security Group that is given this attribute. To inherit this attribute the User must then be a member of that Group. Is that what you mean is the case?

You can see this in my screenshot on the top right...

WGate_Security.bmp

Also from the screenshot, is "Web Gate/Web Server Security" set to "Use Security"?

Regards,
George

Thanks Geospark for looking into this for me.
Below is snip of my project and I have enabled security I believe.
View attachment 44317
(Not sure if image attached properly)
As I said above I have done this heaps of times with other Magelis panels but don't seem to have any luck with the HMIS5T.
Cheers Peter.

No, I'm afraid the image is not viewable.

I've done it countless times before as well, but I've not run into your particular issue.

I have the same HMI hardware as you and I set up a quick and simple test today starting with a blank project. For my test I'm using an EtherNet/IP driver to an Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1400 controller. I just created a single BOOL variable and a lamp indicator on a single display. I configured all the necessary Sharing, Security and Web Gateway/ Web Server settings, built and downloaded to target.

The lamp indicator is set to Green when the BOOL is 1 and Red when it's 0. It's also set to blink when it's 1.

I can open the Web Gate browser and I can login to the Monitoring window. I can then open the variable editor and change the BOOL variable's value 0>1>0, etc., and my lamp indicator on the Monitoring window is changing from Red to Green and it blinks OK.

A "Clean All" never hurts before building and downloading. Have you tried that?

What PLC / driver are you using, out of interest?

Regards,
George

Hi Geospark,
You're a champion, I had tried everything that I could think of to no avail.
"Clean All" and re downloading fixed it Thank you.
Not sure how that worked but I'll accept it. Had spent a few hours over this one.
Once again Thanks.
Cheers Peter.

Pencil said:
..."Clean All" and re downloading fixed it...

Ahh, that's good to hear.

Pencil said:
...Not sure how that worked but I'll accept it...

When you are developing your Vijeo Designer project, adding and deleting, editing and testing, there can be a few remnant or "junk" files left in a Target (HMI) folder or Project folder that are not required. When you perform a Build, or Build All, it can add this "junk" into the compiled application file that you download to the Target. While it often does not interfere, sometimes this "junk" can have an effect on the running application and in very strange ways.

Schneider do recommend that each time before you execute a Build All, you first execute a Clean All. This helps to reduce the likelihood of such issues.

Do note the difference between performing a Build and Clean, as opposed to performing a Build All and Clean All. The former refers to an individual Target (HMI) within a Project, of which there can be several, whereas the latter refers to the entire Project and all Targets within.

For a single Target, you can right-click the Target instance (Blue Box) in the Navigator window and select Build... or Clean..., or from the Build drop down menu at the top, and while the Target instance is highlighted, you can select Clean Target or Build Target.

For the entire Project, you can right-click on the Project instance (Green Schneider Logo) at the top of the Navigator window and select Build All or Clean All..., or from the Build drop down menu at the top, you can select Clean All or Build All.

Some issues experienced could be as a result of "junk" that has been left in the Project folder. If you just do a Clean Target, for instance, then you are just cleaning the Target folder, which is only a part of the Project. This will not fix issues that may be related to "junk" left in the Project folder.

I'm not saying that Clean Target cannot fix some issues, but just that it's better practice to know the differences here and always perform a Clean All for the entire Project. This way you can be more sure that you've cleared out all the potential "junk" files for the entire Project.

Also, from the Build drop down menu at the top, and under Options..., I like to select Display details during Build. With this setting you can see a verbose Build session in the Feedback Zone window, which can help pin down any tricky issues when a Build is not successful.

Happy Web Gating!

p.s. I just like to know which PLC and drivers work with these Targets as they do have a good driver set.

Regards,
George

Just to add to this. If you change any security settings like user names and passwords remember to select the option "delete runtime files" on the popup when you download. otherwise the security details stay the same as the 1st time you did a download with security settings. Can cause some headaches