Question about Product Spec Output Relay

tranh2

Hello,

I have a question about a product in general. I'm looking at a Carbon Monoxide detector product datasheet. In it it says that is has

Optional Relay:
Outputs - Form C contacts (NO and NC), 5 Amps @ 250 Vac, 5 Amps @ 30 Vdc.

Does this mean when actuated it outputs 5 Amps @ 250 Vac or 5 Amps @ 30 Vdc from that contact? So if i place a multimeter on those contact thats what I would see on my multimeter? So I would wire from these contacts directly to the power input of the device that can handle those power ratings?

Or is that the max load rating those contacts can handle? i'm new to this electrical design part.

Thank you!

Key word OPTIONAL
it may not have a relay at all if it wasn't ordered with one
it only stated the if the optional relay is there the 5 amp at 250 VAC or 5 amps at 30 VDC

Does this mean when actuated it outputs 5 Amps @ 250 Vac or 5 Amps @ 30 Vdc from that contact? So if i place a multimeter on those contact thats what I would see on my multimeter? So I would wire from these contacts directly to the power input of the device that can handle those power ratings?

No

Or is that the max load rating those contacts can handle?

Yes

Or is that the max load rating those contacts can handle

Yes it's the max, resistive unless stated otherwise, load. Best to stay well below that maximum to extend the contact life. And you might also need to take additional measures to protect the contacts too depending on exactly what you're switching and how much the detector costs.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little more clear but unclear on some parts. I've sketched two configurations. I'm trying to put together a CO detector that drives a siren.

I'd like to use the Honeywell E3Point model. It comes with two output relays rated at 2 DPDT relays, 5A @ 250Vac; 5A @ 30Vdc.

http://www.honeywellanalytics.com/~/media/honeywell-
analytics/products/e3point/documents/e3point-quick-start-guide.pdf?la=en

For the siren i'm using the Federal Signal LP4 rated at Voltage: 9-28VDC.

https://www.fedsig.com/resource-document/file/9233

For the 24VDC i'm just using a simple Phoenix Contact 24VDC PS with MAX output of 10A. Nothing special.

If I understand Configuration2 should be the correct way to wire it up?

Configuration 1.jpg Configuration 2.jpg

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little more clear but unclear on some parts. I've sketched two configurations. I'm trying to put together a CO detector that drives a siren.

I'd like to use the Honeywell E3Point model. It comes with two output relays rated at 2 DPDT relays, 5A @ 250Vac; 5A @ 30Vdc.

http://www.honeywellanalytics.com/~/media/honeywell-
analytics/products/e3point/documents/e3point-quick-start-guide.pdf?la=en

For the siren i'm using the Federal Signal LP4 rated at Voltage: 9-28VDC.

https://www.fedsig.com/resource-document/file/9233

For the 24VDC i'm just using a simple Phoenix Contact 24VDC PS with MAX output of 10A. Nothing special.

If I understand Configuration2 should be the correct way to wire it up?

Number 2

If it were me, I'd use an interposing relay between the CO detector and siren.

The relays built into instruments are usually not replaceable, whereas an interposing relay is $20, pull-out/plug-in. It's a $20 insurance policy.