Upgrade from slc 5/04 to 5/05

Syd

Hi folks,
We are thinking of upgrading the processor from 5/04 to 5/05 due to several reasons.
My question is how do we connect programming terminal to 5/05 as I know there is no prog port on 5/05 as on 5/04. We will be using both ports on 5/05. RS232 to connect to scada and Ethernet to drive.
What are the options we have got if we want to connect prog terminal and monitor without removing any of those connections.
Also Just confirming we can use the same existing components in the 5/04rack with new 5/05 processor.
Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

The programming terminal on a 5/04 is DH+, the 5/05 has Ethernet... if you need to program the 5/05 just connect using the Ethernet, why are you changing your 5/04's you can use a gateway to get your DH+ on the Ethernet then you can have the best of both worlds

Hi folks,
We are thinking of upgrading the processor from 5/04 to 5/05 due to several reasons.
My question is how do we connect programming terminal to 5/05 as I know there is no prog port on 5/05 as on 5/04. We will be using both ports on 5/05. RS232 to connect to scada and Ethernet to drive.
What are the options we have got if we want to connect prog terminal and monitor without removing any of those connections.
Also Just confirming we can use the same existing components in the 5/04rack with new 5/05 processor.
Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum!

Switching from a 5/04 to a 5/05 would be a significant upgrade since you will not be needing any DH+ interface for your programming terminal PC; just patch the PC NIC within the 5/05 Ethernet subnet switch, use a Ethernet (not EtherNet/IP) RS Linx Driver and you will connect to the CPU just as easy as with a DH+ driver.

All 1746/1747 modules are compatible with the SLC 5/05 platform.

There are no references to any system HMI, however, all newer PVP terminals provide Ethernet connectivity; the eventual DH+ HMI applications will be fully functional on Ethernet with a simple communications setup change.

Thanks for your reply...

We are thinking of using an Ethernet hub as we need to connect a vsd and a programming PC on Ethernet network.
I want to know Does it work if I connect programming PC to a hub. Does the same driver in Rslogix work for this set up..
Any suggestions which hub to go for ??

To use the ethernet port for several things is exactly what ethernet is for. So you are good there.
The pitfall is what protocol the new VFD must be controlled by.
The SLC5/05 can integrate in an Ethernet/IP network, but it cannot control devices via Ethernet/IP.
What VFD is it exactly ?

To use the ethernet port for several things is exactly what ethernet is for. So you are good there.
The pitfall is what protocol the new VFD must be controlled by.
The SLC5/05 can integrate in an Ethernet/IP network, but it cannot control devices via Ethernet/IP.
What VFD is it exactly ?
I think it can still control devices via CIP messaging? That seems to be something I remember seeing. All the controls would be via messaging, which most people have mixed feelings about. I remember seeing another post where someone was controlling 20+ PowerFlex 525 drives from a SLC 5/05 over ethernet.