Wire labeling and electric diagrams doubt

I use page-line or pageline for all wires including inputs/outputs. The rackslotchan convention seems food until you have to page through pages and pages of a 60 pages to find it. With page line convention, you can go right to the exact place in the diagrams to find what you need.

104-23. Tells me page/drawing 104 line 23.

We are using something like that for wires, and depending if there is a push button, switch, relay, fuse, etc, we add a letter or two. eg PB10423 is a push button in page 104 line 23.

For IO, 3 digit MCP #, 2 digit Rack I'd, 2 digit Slot #, 2 digit bit. 101020131 - MCP 101 Rack 2 slot 1 bit 31. For supplies, relay logic, interlocks, etc. MCP, 00 to show no rack, sheet number, line number, qualifier ( L for line, N for neutral, ect.). 101000510L - MCP 101 , no rack, sheet 5, index 10, line voltage supply.

The first rule in wire numbering is: keep it simple.

The second rule is: make it consistent.

After that you are on your own......

If you follow rules 1 and 2, you will be fine.

The only other rule I would add is the the wire must have the same label on both ends. Nothing is as much fun as trying to trace out a wire that is called two different things depending on what end you are looking at.

Bubba.

Our prints have 25 rungs per page (A-Size).
Each rung has a reference number, starting at 100 on the first page.
I use reference line numbers for wiring, then I use alphabet for any more wires on the rung. .

Explanation..
Page 2 starts at 125 which is the beginning wire number of the wiring on the first rung on that page.
ie...Control Power Wire Number to Switch then 125 from switch to 1st device (ie...NO contact) then 125A to next device, and so on to coil.

Last edited:
I prefer this:
To mark every wire according page number + letter start from A up to Z
and start from the left side of the page.
For example in page 20 you see wires 20A , 20B , 20C ....
Because we mark every wire both sides, less is better
The devices (sensors relays..are marked according page number and column from 1 to 9
For example Relay in the middle of page 20 will be marked 20.5

Our prints have 25 rungs per page (A-Size).
Each rung has a reference number, starting at 100 on the first page.
I use reference line numbers for wiring, then I use alphabet for any more wires on the rung. .

Explanation..
Page 2 starts at 125 which is the beginning wire number of the wiring on the first rung on that page.
ie...Control Power Wire Number to Switch then 125 from switch to 1st device (ie...NO contact) then 125A to next device, and so on to coil.

When I get to PLC IO...it is different.
Most of the PLCS I use (GE, HC900) have sequential decimal numbering for the IO. 1st input card starts with I0001-I00016....next input card is I00017-I00032...and so on.

So I use wire number 1001 for 1st put and so on..
I use this wire numbering structure:
Inputs = 1000
Outputs = 2000
Analog Inputs = 3000
Analog Outputs =4000

As soon as I see the wire number, I know if it is Digital or Analog In or Out....and I know where it is in the logic....
Don't even need a print..