CX Programmer on a VM

kalabdel

Hello gentlemen,

I installed CX-One on an Oracle VM and having problems with CX programmer's USB driver, I get the attached error. The driver in the host system is installed properly as it shows up without the yellow triangle when I connect to a PLC and in the guest system I added OMRON-PLC[0100] which I'm not entirely sure what it is.

What other steps should I take?

Thanks
Kal

Untitled.png

I do not install CX-One in a VM - the only PLC software I do not install in a VM. Straight into Windows 10 - it plays nice - unlike a lot of the others - and does not tie up serial ports and the like when it shuts down as some others do. Does not infect the hard drive with a million files either. Install it straight into the OS - it will not cause you any nasty issues at all.

I use CX-Programmer inside a VMWare VM (Workstation Pro) without any issues.

You could try make a VM with the free VMWare Player to see if it solves your problem.

I'm running a clone of an old XP machine in VMWare for my Omron systems (licensing information kinda got lost a while back so it was just less hassle to do it that way to me), and as long as I'm giving full control of the USB port in question to the VM I don't have any issues. If I try to do COM addressing and there is something trying to access the COM port (even though pretty much everything that should be accessing it is closed) I'll have errors. Not sure if this may be what you're experiencing though because from the error it looks like you're installing drivers in the VM and theoretically have passed full control to it as well (removed from host is the wording VMWare uses I believe).

Thanks everyone. I was totally against using VM until someone on this forum commented to me that the reason I had bad experience with VM may have had to do with my CPU and that got me looking into my system and realized that partioning the drive the way I did slowed it down considerably. Long story short, I bought a new drive and 16Gig memory and things are good. I have TIA13-SP2 by itself and likely to have RSlogix on another by itself and would like to have CX porgrammer, weintek, Unitronics and bunch of the VFD software along with them as they all relatively light applications. Haven't decided what to do with Shcneider's unity pro and somachine yet.

godcixelsyd, That's not how I have it setup and that may very well be the problem. I installed the software in a VM and when I was unable to connect I then installed the driver alone on the host machine and never paid much attention if it was installed on the VM. I'll have a look and see if I can do as you described, install the driver on the guest machine and remove it off the host.

Thanks
Kal

To be honest I do not know why anyone would want to run CX-One in a VM. It plays nice and does not cause any issues at all - shut it down and it all shuts down - no hanging onto serial ports or anything else. Cannot say the same for most others though - run them in VMs. Put Unity Pro in a VM kalabdel - it does not play nice! Grabs Modbus ports! AB does not let everything go either - although I have not used the latest software. Siemens 'infects' your hard drive with **** - in a VM it goes.

Thanks BobB. I got it working along with CX Drive.
I had to install Oracle Extension pack and it had to be the exact same version as Oracle and the other thing is I had to select USB2.0 or 1.1 and not 3.0 . All good now.
With CX programmer I installed the driver on the Host and the guest installed a generic driver when it detected the device but with CX Drive I had to install the Omron USB driver on both Host and Guest.
Thanks a lot guys.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Thanks BobB. I got it working along with CX Drive.
I had to install Oracle Extension pack and it had to be the exact same version as Oracle and the other thing is I had to select USB2.0 or 1.1 and not 3.0 . All good now.
With CX programmer I installed the driver on the Host and the guest installed a generic driver when it detected the device but with CX Drive I had to install the Omron USB driver on both Host and Guest.
Thanks a lot guys.

For future reference, when dealing with VM's you will generally install drivers on the guest. The host can simply pass the USB connection over to the guest (it is called "piping"). So basically, you didn't need the drivers installed on your host at all. This also holds true for serial ports. Ethernet ports are a bit of a different beast and the virtual switching involved is a bit more complicated and in-depth.

Glad you got it figured out.

Still puzzled why you want to install it in a VM - it plays nice and shuts down when you shut the program down. I run in direct in Windoze 10 x 64 bit Pro and it is fine - run all the others in VMs though.

One reason to install it on VM is to bypass the restrictions of a corporate IT. Controls guys cannot afford to wait for a tech support rep to come over and to install the stuff the controls guys need.

Thanks Gentlemen.

BobB, basically since I'm revamping my laptop which includes using VMs I decided to do the same for all control software; maybe even all software. This way I start only what I need at the time and of course I can export copies of the machines to use as backup and to move to another laptop. Whether things will work that smoothly remains to be seen.

Do not have issues with IT - I am IT here LOL.
OK kalabdel - I have automated sync set up between my laptop and desktop for all Omron stuff. All others are in VMs and yes backup becomes fairly easy. We all work different ways.