manual control of proportional control valve

Dandryan

Hi All,
Is it possible that from a hmi, one could operate a proportional control valve from open to closed via a numeric input or slider on the hmi? it is just water being pumped around a closed loop the aim is to watch the flow meters range of measurement with heavy and light flow, a very rough calibration of sorts. Im using rs logix 5000 v20 with factory talk studio me v8.
Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Yes this is possible.

A simple way to do it is to make a new PLC tag called hmi_ValveManualSP that you reference in your HMI that takes a 0-100% input from either a numeric input or slider.

Then in your PLC you need to scale this tag from 0-100 to whatever data range your analog output module needs, and write it to your analog output.

As Bendan said short answer is yes

Here is what I thing is a much better way
It works for me and I have been using it for years
In panelview create 2 links
One maintained button – connected to the tag PID.SWM ( Software Manual )
One numeric input or slider – connected to the tag PID.SO ( Set Output )
You could even use both a numeric input and a slider connected to PID.SO if you want to be creative

Always lave the PID run on it’s normal time base.
Manually control the output by setting the SWM tag to 1 and then set the value in the SO tag to the value you want.( numeric input or slider ) 0 to 100 %
When you switch back to auto control ( SWM tag = 0 ) the PID control will make a bump less transfer from the manual setting to the auto controlled output
If you turn off the PID control or set the output outside of the PID manual control the control will continue to try to control the output driving it either to 0% or 100% then try to correct the loop when it goes back into auto control giving you a bump in the output.
By leaving the loop running and updating it in the normal program loop and manually controlling the output from within the PID control it will continue to update the loop using the SO tag in the calculation
When you switch back to auto control the PID control is set and you will not get the surge or bump in the output while the PID controller and the output stabilize.