Panelview Plus "Notify PLC" to PLC5

jjamison

Hello All, I am replacing a Panelview 1400E with a Panelview Plus on a system with a PLC5-30 processor. I have most everything worked out with the upgrade but am struggling with a few items.
My PLC logic needs to know which screen is being displayed by the Panelview. The original PV 1400E used an input (Tag_DI03_7_0-7_17_Bin) to notify the PLC as to what screen it was on. I tried this on the FT view studio ME under Global Connections, Display, Replace display Number, and it didn't work. Rockwell tech support told me that the FT view needs an integer file in this case. I changed the I:37 to an N7:3 and made the appropriate PLC logic changes but still nothing. When I change screens on my Panelview it does nothing to toggle my integer file. I am communicating fine because if I manually put a number into the N7:3 file, I can than use the buttons on the panelview to operate inputs.
I'm a first timer on here and working with Factory Talk View Studio so I hope you can be patient if I sound like I don't know what I'm doing.
Thanks.

Do you have "Display Numbers" assigned to the screens? I think the conversion does this for you, but it wouldn't hurt to check. Open a display in FTView Studio and right click on the background, go to Display Settings and make sure you have values in the fields for Display Number.

If that doesn't reveal anything, you might want to open a diagnostic display and see if it tells you anything...

Someone suggested "You will need to configure and assign/run Macros which will change the value of a tag depending of what Display is active at a time". Do I need a separate Macro for each display? Would you suggest that I do this under "Logic and Control" or under "Global Connections"?

That was me wasn't it...:D...Wanted to add more info, was summoned somewhere else and never gotten back to it...

Chapter 30 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/viewme-um004_-en-e.pdf deals with Macro deployment.

You will most likely have to configure one Macro for each Display # to be monitored using the Macro Editor; use the same PLC5 Tag (Integer Address) for each configured Macro; use the Display/Display Properties/Behavior Tab and under the Macro/Startup list the Macro which will write a value (I'd suggest Display #) into the PLC5 Integer monitoring the FTV application

dmargineau, correct me if I'm wrong but as an example, for Display #1, my integer address might be N7:3/1, and for Display #2, N7:3/2 etc. etc.
Using this method, I don't need anything in my Global connection, correct?
Jeff

dmargineau, correct me if I'm wrong but as an example, for Display #1, my integer address might be N7:3/1, and for Display #2, N7:3/2 etc. etc.
Using this method, I don't need anything in my Global connection, correct?
Jeff

I don't believe you need use the Global Connections...Global connections allow the data source to control or interact with your application at runtime. You intend to write to the data source (HMI initiated PLC write) a Display change.

I would use the integer as a whole word and 'Macro Write' the configured Display Number (e.g. Display #1 will write '1' within N7:3, Display #23 will write '23' within N7:3 and so on).

I warned you, I'm a rookie. So in my Macro editor, I created a macro named "Display1". Under Tag, I typed in Display #1 and under Expression I typed {::[PLC5]N7:3}
Will this do it?
Jeff

Presuming you are using HMI tags...and that {::[PLC5]N7:3} is the address of an Analog Tag named 'Display_Number'...

In Macro Editor list 'Display_Number' in the Tag column and '1' in the Expression column; Save As 'Display_1' Macro.

Add a New Macro with the same 'Display_Number' in the Tag column and '2' in the Expression column; Save As 'Display_2' Macro.

Add a New Macro with the same 'Display_Number' in the Tag column and '3' in the Expression column; Save As 'Display_3' Macro.

And so on...

Open up Display #1, Right-Click on an empty surface, pick Display Settings then Behavior Tab...; under Macros/Startup pick the radio button and select 'Display_1' Macro.

Open up Display #2, Right-Click on an empty surface, pick Display Settings then Behavior Tab...; under Macros/Startup pick the radio button and select 'Display_2' Macro.

And so on...

When any of the displays will open up, the corresponding Macro will write '1', '2', '3', etc. within N7:3.

Or to the extent of the above mentioned procedure...I don't have a 'live' connection to verify my statements...and I don't ever remember to have to monitor active displays...It should work though...:D

Thank you Sir for your patience, I got that all entered in. It might be a week or so before I can get it hooked up and try it. I'll let you know how it works. And I'm sure I'll have more questions before it's over.
Jeff

By using macros, aren't you taking the long way to grandma's house? I think the global connection Display Number (or whatever vague term they use) does this all for you just like the old trusty dusty Panelview Standard.

I do seem to recall getting the global connections mixed up (because they have names that aren't crystal clear) but once I put the tag in the right field, it worked. I rarely get forced to use FTView, so maybe I am missing something.

No luck on getting my Panelview display information to my PLC5 with the macros. Do I need a BTR in my program to accept the Integer file data?
Jeff

No luck on getting my Panelview display information to my PLC5 with the macros. Do I need a BTR in my program to accept the Integer file data?
Jeff

The macros, if setup correctly, should work.

Note that you will not be able to 'Test the Runtime' on a PLC5 connection and the 'Test Display' utility would not trigger any macro functionality.

Are you sure N7:3 is correctly setup as a Device, Analog Type HMI Tag?

Are you sure you could write to N7:3 from the HMI?

Are you sure nothing else writes to N7:3?

Are all your configured (and 'numbered') displays of the 'Replace' type?

Just for the sake of it:

Within the FTVS go to Global Connections, Display Tab; within Replace Display row enter the HMI Tag 'connected' to N7:3.

Save, create the Runtime and download to terminal; see if this works.