New to EGD

BigJon1023

I have a setup with:

PLC1
PLC2 connected serially (only option) to Quick Panel.

I wish to use EGD to read/write from PLC1-PLC2 so I can use the quickpanel to control PLC1.

My question with EGD is how to do you keep it from reading/writing over itself.

Meaning if %R1 = 1 on PLC1 and %R1 = 2 on PLC2 depending on which it gets to first will change %R1 and ignore the other.

EGD uses a producer/consumer model. The producer sends data to the consumer. In the EGD configuration of the producer you specify the addresses where the data comes from. In the EGD configuration of the consumer you specify the addresses where the data from the producer will be written to. The address in the consumer does not have to be the same as the address in the producer, although it may be.
I wish to use EGD to read/write from PLC1-PLC2 so I can use the quickpanel to control PLC1.
To set up EGD for data transfer in both directions you will need to set up one exchange produced by PLC1 and consumed by PLC2 and a second exchange produced by PLC2 and consumed by PLC1.

I guess my question is timing wise...

If PLC1 %R1 is set via quick panel to be 20 should be sent to PLC2 %R2 which is currently at set at 10.

Would I only set a consumed exchange on PLC2 so it could never overwrite what is on PLC1?

Russ, we established yesterday that Ethernet is available.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=109936
One thing we haven't established yet is the PLC models involved. We need to do that to make sure that both support EGD.
BigJon1023, The 90-30 CPU372 and CPU374 models both support EGD. The Ethernet module IC693CMM321 does not. Please let us know what hardware you're using.