Exporting data from RSLogix5

fwilliams83

I am currently converting an old PLC-5 to a ControlLogix platform, and I want to capture all the alarm setpoint data etc from the PLC-5. Obviously, I can go through the data files one by one and record all the information I want. However, this will be a very painful laborious process which I'm keen to avoid.
I know I can print a report with the current data, but this essentially gives very little benefit over just going through the actual RSlogix5 datafiles.
I would ideally like to export all of the data as a CSV file (or similar) in a format similar to editing the database in Excel but with an extra column for current data. All of the tags I care about have symbols/descriptions associated with them.
Does anyone have any tips on how this may be achieved?

What version of RSLinx do you have?

You could export the database to csv file and then write a little vba code to read and populate your extra column if you have a licensed version of Linx that supports DDE/OPC.

I have done this with a SLC and can post some code snippets when I am at work tomorrow.

I'm using v2.56 Classic. Unfortunately, I'm working from an offline file and don't have a PLC-5 to test with off-site. Will definitely keep it in mind though if there's no other way.

Classic Lite? Gateway? Other (I have lost track of the variations)?

If you have the offline file, and RSLogix5 Emulate, and a non Lite version of RSLinx you can use the DDE/OPC thing. I am not sure how else to get the values out of an offline file.

I'm using Linx Gateway. I don't currently have access to the PLC-5, but have set up an emulator (good idea, hadn't thought of that). Am yet to figure out how to write the code to extract out the data, but this has at least put me on the right track. If anyone would like to give tips/samples, that would be awesome, but this has at least got me on the right track.
Thanks all

I'm pretty sure the PLC5 to ControlLogix conversion utility from Rockwell preserves the tag values when it does the conversion. So the value in N7:0 will end up in N7[0].

The new CLX is getting coded to new standards (naming conventions, coding techniques etc), so we're essentially rewriting the code from scratch. But you're right, this could be another way of extracting the data I need. Good idea :)

Save the program as PC5 then open the saved file with Notepad. The files will be available to copy paste into Excel, you will have to do a little bit of work to get that information organized:geek: