Using GuardLogix PLC with standard I/O cards

testsubject

I currently use a Safety module from Wieland and have been asked to use a GuardLogix PLC.

I have two outputs setup in the controller to output Safety Ch A and B.

I then connect these signals two safety relays with the contacts wired in series from 24VDC to the Common terminal of a standard PLC output card. (Safety Switched 24VDC)

These safety relays are disabled by the Estop when pressed. When this happens, the 24VDC is removed from the output card and they can no longer operate the valves.

Now that I am using a GuardLogix PLC, I am wondering if I am monitor the Estops in the GuardLogix PLC and this information can be passed through to the standard code, is this sufficient to satisfy the safety protocol or do I still need to use the two external relays to block the 24VDC? (I am wondering if the Signal in the Safety Side of the PLC could be used as a permissive in the Control Side outputs.)

I cannot comment on your application.
But...I have seen installations where GuardLogix was used instead of safety relays. Must be configured correctly with the Correct I/O.
I usually see point safe remote I/O being driven by a compact sized PLC.

You can use safety tags and I/O in the non-safety task, you cannot use non-safety I/O in the safety task.

If you need access to tags that originate in a non-safety task, you must map them to the safety task. Look under Logic > Safety Mapping (something like that).

Thanks for your input.
I had a long discussion with an Rockwell Safety rep and he set me straight on what the GuardLogix can do.
It appears I cannot use the Safety status and as "Safety" permissive in the Control PLC.
I did not realize that they are actually two "PLCs" in the same box.

It appears I cannot use the Safety status and as "Safety" permissive in the Control PLC.
I did not realize that they are actually two "PLCs" in the same box.

You know, I didn't not quite fully get the last sentence of your OP worked out in my head. When I was replying, I was imagining you were asking if you could use something like your E-Stop in your non-safety task, for status. Like a fault or something.

I re-read your OP, not sure where my head was at there. Your question was pretty clear. I should learn not to post in a hurry.