enable/disable nodes of RsLinx using RsView32 tags

PLC Freak

have a Control Logix System running on a cementplant. Three control Logix processors are cotroling three areas as specified below:

Raw Mill ----------------> CLX1
Kiln&Cooler-------------> CLX2
Cement Mill-------------> CLX3

Every PLC has its own Operating Station on which Rsview runtimes and works are running. Every RSview has its own application screen controlling a particular area belong to that PLC. Now what we want to do is to run a common application on all the operating stations, which contain information for all the Areas like Raw mill, Kiln & Cooler and Cement Mill. This common application should have DDE/OPC link and RsLinx drivers for each CLX area (CLX1, CLX2, CLX3). Under normal condition, this common application would not be running or active hence avoiding unnecessary traffic over control net and Ethernet network. But if some abnormality occurs, like one of the Operating Station fails to operate, then operator should have a choice to invoke/call this common application from either of the two operating stations. As soon as the common application is called, a script or some kind of mechanism should run and develop a connection between RSLinx and OPC Servers to extract data from that PLC whose operating System failed to run. Is this kind of system possible on simple Rsview/RSLinx architecture.

There are several issues that need to be addressed if this is possible. These issues are given below:

· In case one of the Operating station fails to operate, only then communication between RSLinx and respective PLC should take place so that network traffic should not be clocked. If there is no failure among the operating stations, then associated node of RSLinx should be disabled. Means, RSLinx should only establish a connection between that common application with the required operating station's RSview. In other words, For example, Rsview that is controlling Cement mill PLC through RSLinx should only allow cement mill data to be acquired under normal circumstances. If there is a failure in Raw Mill RSView (Operating Station), and operator decides to acquire Raw Mill data from Cement Mill Operating Station, only then Rsview from Cement Mill should run common application and enable RAW mill PLC node in RSLinx and start communications.

Anyhelp in this regard will highly be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Regards

Gerry: Will node enable/node disable commands actually enable or disable the hardware nodes in RsLinx so that to avaoid unnecessary traffic from/to RsLinx and Control Logix Processor. Because what i know is once you create a node in RsLinx, and link it properly then the traffic/communication between RsLinx and Hardware keep on going. So by using enable/disable commands on RsView32, can we actually stop or start this process?

Looking forward to your reply

RSLinx scans what RSView and/or other applications ask it to. If no data is requested from a particular node then there won't be any traffic.

Before I possibly waste a lot of typing - do you understand the significance of foreground and background scans?