Free HMI Software???

Kevin,

I don't know what sort of restrictions you are finding, but we support a product that gives the development package away with a one hour run license. You pay for the run license, based on the number of tags you are using for your application.

Here is a link with information as to what it will do.

http://www.entertron.com/hmiscadasoftware.htm

It is reasonable priced between $1295 and $1995 (depending on the number of tags required) The unlimited package has a couple of nice features such as Speakout text to speach scripting.

You can download it directly from our web site. The development software is password protected. Simply complete the form and a password will be sent to you within 48 hours...sorry still done manually.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

If there is one thing I've always despised, its fees based on tag usage. Hey, I'm locked into buying the hardware already, why do I have to get burdened with the repeat software cost?

If I have to amke a custom HMI product, I'll do it with my one time purchased VB and activeX control for the communication. Been using it for years with no additional costs. "It just keeps on giving."

Last edited:
We had been looking for a PC based system to support AB PLC's on DH+. We wanted to replace the multitude of HMI's we had to support in our plant with a PC based system, but could not justify the cost of RS View or similar products. We ended up writing our own in Visual Basic 6. We ended up with a pretty good product that is easy to configure and build screens with. It even analyzes exported RSLogix files and builds on screen flowcharts and displays step transitions for troubleshooting. Unfortunately this was built with our plants needs in mind, and would not be any use to you. I am just suggesting this may be a way to get what you want, if you can handle the VB coding.
Wally

VB as HMI

Wally
JSTOLARUK

I have to agree with Wally and JSTOLARUK that VB seems to be the HMI alternative I'm looking for. In our company we have several machines running RSView via a DH+ network using 1784-KTX and -PKTX cards. My questions are,

If we use VB:
*Would RSLinx be used as the server?
*If so, what drivers need to be configured?(For the 1784-KTX card)
*Can you give me an example of what the VB code is if I create a single form with a single command button and with that button I wish to energize B3:0/0, for example?

Thank You

The ActiveX contains properties that are changed to satisfy the memory location (B3/0 or N7:0/0), data, etc. Then a method is called to write data or in the case of looking for incoming data, a property that points to the procedure that is to be executed is set and the ActiveX is put into waiting mode. Its awakened when data has come in and executes the specified routine (an interrupt call if you will).

Greetings everybody,
There are two types of ActiveX controls that can be used To establish communication using VB:

1- An OPC Client ActiveX control (In this case you do need an OPC server that "speaks" with the PLC using its communication protcol like RSlinx for AB or any other commercial OPC server)
I use www.softwaretoolbox.com products and it's great.

2- An ActiveX control that "speaks" directly with the PLC using its communication protocol, It accesses the comm port (or ethernt) directly and does all the work (No need for any OPC server).

If you want to go the VB way, why not roll your own driver using the DF1 protocol, there is a lot of sample code on the net, and besides your time its free

Lance

Lancer said:
If you want to go the VB way, why not roll your own driver using the DF1 protocol, there is a lot of sample code on the net, and besides your time its free

Lance
Hi Lancer, Can you point me in the right direction for vb code tools. Im keen to intergrate toshiba plc to pc. Cheers Brenton.