S7 overall reset (quick question)

Johnny T

Hi

Whenever I've had to do an overall reset on a S7 PLC its just been a case of turn the key (or hold the switch down), let the light flash twice, then let go and turn the key again, the amber light then flashes rapidly and the entire system has had its memory reset.

However, I've just been using a 315 2-DP and this method didn't clear the memory out. I'm assuming its because of the MMC card that was in it.

How do you do an 'overall' reset when there's an MMC card in the PLC?

Sorry if this is an idiotic question and I know that you can just go 'online' and manually delete the blocks but just wondered if there was another way?

Thanks

Hi Johnny,
Im not sure about other versions but on mine(5.3) goto menu PLC--DIAGNOSTIC/SETTING--CLEAR/RESET in Simatic manager

Hope this helps

Steve

Stevo, thanks for the info mate. So there's no way of clearing the MMC from the key or switch on the front?

PS. Love the avatar... Captain Caveman was superb! Eeeh, they don't make 'em like that anymore... :D

Hold the key in M-RES position until the led stops flashing, release then turn again.

Other than that - go online in blocks and highlight + delete non-system blocks ie. non SFBs then download. The MMC will reload into the RAM though.

Stevo

Can the MMC be formatted whilst in the PLC?
Can the program in the MMC be overwritten with only the system blocks? ie Set up a new project and 'Save to Memory Card...' or 'Download user program to memory card...' under PLC tab of the toolbar.

Last edited:
Foxx, Stevo,

Thanks for that. It looks like to delete the MMC you have to do it through Simatic Manager. This is no problem but it was good to be sure.

The key reset only deletes the CPU memory and if a MMC is present it then loads the contents of the MMC into the CPU RAM.

Thanks for all the replies,

Cheers

JT

PS. Nearly beer time now... I love Fridays!!