Beating internet firewalls - legiemate reason

Ned_Flanders

I am trying to email a Siemens S7 .zip file back to the machine OEM.

Between our company firewall and his - in Germany - the files are getting stripped.
I've tried encrypting them - didn't work and changing the file extension from .zip to .org - didn't work either.

HIS IT department think I should talk to OUR IT department. I would rather eat my own ear wax as they are "Out sourced" and "Useless".

Any ideas?

Thanks

D'OH cant spell legitimate and can't change it!!!!

Last edited:
Windows Live SkyDrive works great for me. Individual files up to 50MB and a 25GB total. You can make folders private or public. Plus it's free.

OG

When I run into this problem, I switch from company e-mail to web e-mail. Even if you have to set up a new hotmail or gmail account on both ends, they're free.

EDIT
By the way, when my mail server strips a suspect attachment on an incoming e-mail, I get a notification that it happened and can then go get the file from the IT guys if I need to.

Last edited:
Agreed - I use gmail for this. You have a 10 meg limit and zip files are fine.

When I run into this problem, I switch from company e-mail to web e-mail. Even if you have to set up a new hotmail or gmail account on both ends, they're free.

I use this http://www.yousendit.com/

100meg file size with the free accout and 2gb for pro $9.99 per month. Plus 6gb file storage. It also integrates with outlook via a plugin.

Drop io http://drop.io/ is another good solution.

As OG posted earlier i also use windows sky drive and windows live mesh free. You can make some files public some private or by user. So you could setup a section for your colleague and send him user name and password and he can download the file like any other off the net.

Idrive is another good solution. I could go on and on.

I use many different services.

Google cloud storage will be here soon.

Won't be the firewalls that are stopping it getting through, it will be the IT department email filter rules. The way these guys are going email won't be good for anything and we will have to go back to using the Postal Service. Don't bother talking to the IT department, from my experience o_O. The only way around it is as others have said, you send the email to a private email address of your client and they stick the file on a USB stick and take it to work. It makes a joke of the IT department email rules and they are far more likely to introduce a virus through a USB stick than through a well monitored virus controlled email system but like I said o_O.

Bryan

Another option is to get them to set up a FTP server on their side and connect via an FTP client. Pretty quick and easy to do. Might be a bit of overkill for 2MB though...

If you are using WINZIP then in winzip help index type the word span.

You will get instructions on how to split the zip file into multiple pieces for emailing. When the recipient has all pieces of the span and attempts to extract the first one WInzip will automatically extract and reassemble all the pieces.

Not sure if the Free Winzip version comes with that feature, but I am pretty sure 7-Zip allows archive-splitting (as does Win-RAR, but that is not free) and doesn't cost anything.

I recommend a third party website to place the file (You Send It or others, usually you can find one that isn't blocked). They are usually free for small files.

ANOTHER FINE EXAMPLE OF BEING SO SECURE THAT IT HAMPERS PRODUCTIVITY.

After all the whole idea of a computer network is to increase productivity and simplify collaboration.

Yep - there's a fine balance between security and usability (CIA triangle (confidentiality, integrity, and availability that IT often sways to the unproductive side of.

This is yet another reason that you need to formalize/vet your operational requirements through management so that IT can provide a solution that meets your needs.