Most ridiculously overly-complicated panel you've ever designed

I did a job several years ago where the consulting engineer for the town required us to install a SLC 5/04 at a water tank to read one 4-20mA signal (tank level) and one digital input (valve opened) and provide one digital output (close valve.) I argued for weeks to get them to let us quote and supply a MicroLogix at the site, but he insisted on the 5/04. :confused: More money for us on the project, but much higher replacement costs for the town in the event of a failure.

Yeah, we initially suggested something like that. They turned it down because it "needs to be industrial."

Interesting. I thought that
- DIN rail mounting
- removeable phoenix contact screw terminals (not a friction fit coaxial power plug)
- 24Vdc power (could be redundant if needed)
- a -20° to 70°C temp spec

all qualified that little box as "industrial".

Just goes to show, one can rationalize any thing.

Interesting. I thought that
- DIN rail mounting
- removeable phoenix contact screw terminals (not a friction fit coaxial power plug)
- 24Vdc power (could be redundant if needed)
- a -20° to 70°C temp spec

all qualified that little box as "industrial".

Just goes to show, one can rationalize any thing.

To some people, if it's not ANSI Gray, it's not industrial I guess.

We had a customer pay someone else about 6 grand for a remote monitoring installation. I went to check it out after it was installed, to put up antennas and make copies of the graphics and PLC program.

It was one RSView screen with 3 valve positions on it. When I checked the PLC source, it was tied to the IO of the PLC - pretty sure it was a micrologix, can't remember the model. I went to the remote location, and there it was, a PLC with no program. I don't even think it had to be in "RUN".