Open Screen on Tag Value

PLC Pie Guy

Hey All.

As my thread tittle explains,, I'm trying to open a FTV ME V9.0 display based on a tag value. This is intended to be simply an on top display but if need be, it could be a replace display type.

I was initially thinking of using a Macro that would run based on a tag value but in the function tab of the Macro expression editor, I only have Function Categories pertaining to Math, Security and Language.

Its been a long time but I'm sure I did this exact thing in RSV32 some years back.

Then I thought of a global connection. However, it has functions for close an on top display but no option to open it.

How do you folks handle this scenario???

Thank you all in advance!

Basically, I have a latched push button on the screen. It writes a 1 to bit.0. When bit.0 is true, I need to open a small on top display.

If I try to lay a transparent goto display button over the latched push button, then the latched push button will not toggle before the goto display button launches the display.

Vice versa, the latched button "on top" of the goto display button will toggle the bit.0 but will not open the display. Really I need a dual functionality from this button. I need to turn on bit.0 and open the display.

Any thoughts?

OK, so I have been able to figure out how to open the display with the global connection and the remote display number. But now I need to figure out how to close it. I assigned a tag to the "close on top display" global connection, but it doesn't want to close the display for me. Using it as a replace display, I can switch back and fourth between displays, but not close the ON TOP display..... any thoughts??

I have done something similar using the Remote Display Number and Replace Display Number. Each screen needs a unique display number. If you put a zero in remote display number the operator can control the screen changes or put what display number you need. You can then monitor Replace Display Number for when it matches the correct screen number and reset remote display number to zero.

HAHAH!!!
I got it.

I have to put a 1 to the global connection "close all on top display". This works fine in this particular scenario as I only have one on top open at a time.

I'm thinking as I'm typing now that the global connection tag "close an on top display" would be looking for a numerical value, just like the "remote display number" global connection.

Global Connections...... New skill learned today!!! Invincible!!!

Thanks for the help.

I'm thinking as I'm typing now that the global connection tag "close an on top display" would be looking for a numerical value, just like the "remote display number" global connection.

Yep, that's exactly it. Took me a few years to twig onto that one as well! You put the desired display's "display number" in the "remote display number" global connection to open a display, and put the desired display's "display number" in the "close an on top display" global connection to close a display.

I wonder if I just broke the record for the most uses of the word "display" in a single sentence?

Yep, that's exactly it. Took me a few years to twig onto that one as well! You put the desired display's "display number" in the "remote display number" global connection to open a display, and put the desired display's "display number" in the "close an on top display" global connection to close a display.

I wonder if I just broke the record for the most uses of the word "display" in a single sentence?

Ya you got the record. I was the previous holder with post #4. But not any more.(y)

Sometimes I think the software engineers intentionally use vague definitions for some of these things. "Display Control" and "Display Status" would take some of the puzzlement out of it, and without puzzles, the software would be so much less fun.