Melsec A to ControlLogix

AutoMax

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to migrate a couple hundred Melsec A installations to ControlLogix. Most of the clusters are three or four processors communicating over Melsec Net (dual coaxial) and each processor has 3 or so slave racks on the extension bus cables. There's a little bit of CC-Link, but it's negligible.

Obviously, I'd prefer to handle the migration in phases. There's a lot of BCD interfaces and things I'll ultimately replace, but things would flow smoother if I could start with a processor and replace I/O over time

Anybody know of a device that could (preferably) make a CLX the master on the extension bus, or even communicate on Melsec Net? The first option is much preferred, it would save me doing a lot of incremental reprogramming on the processors.

How well do you know the melsec programming software?

Backed into a corner and held at gunpoint, I'd probably admit there's a few Americans that might know Mitsubishi better than myself. Still, I'd rate pretty solid on the F and Q series. I was trained on Mitsubishi equipment before Siemens S7, and that's going back a bit.

One thing I'm not at all confident on is these legacy Mitsubishi fieldbus technologies- hence the original question. I remember how to set up bus extensions, and I've used CC-Link in the past few years. But I know I've never commissioned anything with MelsecNet, and frankly I don't really want to become a master at it. I've already been trying to forget everything I know about DeviceNet, as it gives me nightmares and my mind is too cluttered.

So, are you a whiz at migrating Melsec equipment? Do you want a gig? If so, PM me and maybe we can work something out.