Unable to change FactoryTalk Directory Location

phuz

This migration to SE 8.2 is really beating me up.

Today I wanted to test a client and needed to change the factorytalk directory server but it wasn't allowing me, so I hop on the server itself to see if it accepts the credentials and using the administrator account, which is shown under the administrator group, I get this:

---------------------------
Error
You do not have permissions to perform this function.

You must be permitted the Change Directory Server user rights policy to change the directory server computer. For instances of the FactoryTalk Directory earlier than SR7.4, only FactoryTalk Administrators are allowed to change the directory server computer.

RA Tech support had me try adding another user and making it an administrator, which I did, and that user gives me this error:
FactoryTalk Directory Server Location Utility
Unable to log on 'test'. User authentication failed.

If I try to run the FactoryTalk directory configuration wizard, select both network & local, use my administrator account, I get this:

FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard
The user 'administrator' is not a FactoryTalk administrator.

Log on as a FactoryTalk administrator.

Last edited:
I did the same thing and had to create a new project.
Imported all my tags (around 14000 tags!)
Imported graphics
recreated all Linx shortcuts manually
recreated users and security.....

Only took me about 14 hours straight.....

Basically had to rebuild the whole damn thing from scratch minus tags and graphics

There is such thing as too much security

I ended up not having to go through all that. I went into FTView Studio, created a new account and added it to admin group, and then it was OK. However, somehow FactoryTalk ended up changing the windows user password and we were not able to log back in under that account. Luckily there was another admin account on the box I was able to login and reset the original admin password. I didn't like FactoryTalk having the ability to change the windows password, but it did.

And I wholeheartedly agree about too much security.

I know this is an old thread but I ran into the same issue trying to connect to a network directory and wanted to leave the solution that worked for me in case it helps anyone.

On the server I created a user, added it to the administrators group in Windows. In FactoryTalk View I added and new Windows Windows linked user and picked the user I had created. (This is normal and in the documentation)

What I discovered was required and I did not expect is the user on the server has to be the same username and password as the local or domain user on the computer connecting to the directory. I tried many users but if it was not the same username and password I would get the following error when running "Specify FactoryTalk Directory Location"

Unable to switch to the new directory server because user name or password incorrect

This is repeatable on several machines with different users if the locally logged in username is different than the one you try to connect to the directory with it fails.

Solution

This is very annoying and a little over the top for the functionality but here is how you import/export users.

You must first add your windows-linked user account to both export and import application. To do this, right click add user --> windows-linked user --> Add --> Locations --> Entire Directory --> Ok. Now enter a couple letters of your windows user name and click check names. Click on your name and then click ok. Then click ok on the windows-linked dialog box.

Now navigate to users and right click on your windows-linked user account and select properties. Select Group Membership and add Administrations to the user.

Remember do this to both applications.

Now close both applications and reopen them.
Now when you right click on User and Groups and select export, your error should be gone and loading bar should pop up.

If you still get the error it is likely your not added to the administrations group still.

Cheers.