OT: Ethics

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
If someone cut YOUR personal life guarantee lockout hasp while you ate lunch and fired up a 120 volt live circuit without making any attempt to contact you, knowing that there were live wires awaiting the pull for the new cable I was building from single conductor wire upstaris...Would you sorta feel physically threatened by blatantly having your lock cut because the thinks I am milking it, trying to make him look bad.

Woulja' get po'd to the point of "This person pointed a gun into a crowd, and next time he cuts my lock he is 90% sure to be pointing a gun at me."

I asked a couple Seattle cops this question. They agreed it could be somewhere in between harassment to attempted manslaughter and thought it would likely be charges as reckless endangerment or some such. They felt if it ever happened that would be a reasonable call to them and have them investigate it.

I have found management talks big about enforcing this but chickens out when they have to stop talking and start walking.

Dan Bentler

They probably violated their own Lock Out & Try policy, if they had one. This is a serious breech of safety. The person who did this should be terminated, if he acted like you say.

Grounds for termination at places I've worked. I'd bring it to my superior and tell him if he didn't give adequate response, I'd escalate and then follow through.

The person cutting your lock knowingly put you at risk. That lock was your assurance the circuit was safe to work on.

He deserves to look bad. He did a very bad thing. It was willful and reckless.

At the very least he should be formally disciplined by the company. If he doesn't see the problem then he needs to be terminated, as he will likely do it again.

Violations of lockout/tagout are very serious.

If management allows this to happen, I would leave. Immediately. You don't want to work for a company that would knowingly permit this behavior.

The life you save may be your own.

I would be fired because I would shove my size 14 shoe so far up his/her you know what.

This goes way beyond the internal company's policies and any eventual "administrative" decisions...You case is truly to be addressed by the local Police department since it is nothing but a premeditated life threatening attempt...

by stfu, I mean in consideration of any forthcoming legal action. Not to save my job...the directors will have to fire a 20+ year engineering leader and the new director of engineering to retain my services and avoid "further action". I will stfu about this at work to give the safety dept. time to complete their investigation which I requested at 8am sharp this morning.

I am that nice quiet kid you don't want to jack with. Every bully situation I have encountered like this one, (but usually non life threatening), always ends with surprise when Mr. Nice Guy fight back.

They think they are smarter than me but 132 IQ is hard to beat, college or no college.

Yeah, I quit my job for my best friend once on principal, won't hesitate to do whatever it takes to extend human mortality in any situation, especially after having my friends and co-workers threatened like this. I am the guy you want on the boat when the storm hits.

I can already predict almost verbatim every possible way they will try to talk their way out of this, and I am gathering hard counters for each of them.

By the way, if we ever end up working together, please don't f with me.

I have only slept 3 of the last 24 hours so far, dang spring Thunder keeps screwing with, I think its heavens cheering for me but I am a converted (by NDE) Christian and extremely tired. I have a funeral I just found out about to get me some innocently looking time to take while the fools wash tehmselves overboard or I backstroke to hte next island of beutiful women.

My plan for the am. is to lay my arc flash gear and meter on desk of their boss and casually explain to them the my role will be strictly limited to programming until such time as I no longer feel my life is being endangered by these two hapless hazards.

I will also not hesitate to make the same announcement to the entire plant over the radio. So that everyone on channel three within 15 miles knows that there are two folks who they can expect to put them in danger.

Last edited:
Cutting a LOTO should be a long and difficult task. There is a reason why a lock is used, and not a do not operate tag. I would take this very seriously.

The ornery side of me, would likely ground the hot wires, or cause problems, and then let management know that they where locked out, and you thought they where dead. In the steel mill I worked, a cut lock would likely find it's way into his car. Or a private meeting would straighten things out.

Cutting a LOTO should be a long and difficult task. There is a reason why a lock is used, and not a do not operate tag. I would take this very seriously.

The ornery side of me, would likely ground the hot wires, or cause problems, and then let management know that they where locked out, and you thought they where dead. In the steel mill I worked, a cut lock would likely find it's way into his car. Or a private meeting would straighten things out.

They cut my hasp with bolt cutters. MY hasp that I bought with MY money that I took to protect MYself and MY freinds at work from a policy that ... get this ... omits tags enitrely substituting engraved colored locks, and apparently the ability to overrule science on whim. as well as frown on hasps and make them difficult to check in and out. Their new disconnects require hasps for gang lockout, otherwise I would have been unable to legally participate in any wiring on the formers without beggin ten people for a hasp which is apparently a huge problem for our customers, you all the time hear about McDs customers biting into ground up locks and hasps.

So, I padlocked a mini-din rail fuse holder which was wrong by me. I should have ended their whole operation for the day and locked out the main, but no, I want to see burgers flowing into MY 401k too.

As I was getting back in uniform after lunch (radio at my side all 32 minutes) I heard the lower ranking and longer tenured gentleman call for bolt cutters, and the thought crossed my mind "like surely not, he is smarter than that, right? What else might they cut with bolt cutters, perhaps some all thread hangers?"...I was thinking to myself as I washed my hands....unable to reply, I figured it best to just go look and not add more radio traffic.

Last edited: