Crimson 3.0 pass-through

viper7986

I am attempting to do a ethernet/ip pass-through to connect to AB SLC 5/04 via rs-232. I followed the setup guide, rslinx can see the processor, when i click go online it starts to connect but then says upload failed communications error. Has anyone had luck trying this?

I noticed you call this 'ethernet/ip' but it actually is not. Its just a DF1 serial connection 'cheating' by going through ethernet instead of a serial cable. So a few questions:
Are you using the DF-1 serial driver on both ends (Crimson and RSLinx)?
What Virtual Serial Port (VSP) software are you using on the receiving end (is it a brand suggested by Red Lion)?
What TCP Port did you assign in Crimson?
And what TCP port did you assign in your VSP software?
What COM port did your VSP software assign?
Did you verify your VSP com port is not in use by something else?
Have you tried temporarily shutting off your firewall just in case it is blocking the TCP port you selected?
How did you wire your RS-232 cable between the Red Lion and the SLC (a little tricky, if I recall. Carefully follow the Red Lion documentation). Getting that Red Lion RS232 RJ11 connector wired is a bear, IMHO. And it is so easy to get the pin2/pin3 swap wrong on the SLC end.

Getting a virtual serial connection set up is an exercise in getting a lot of details just right. Definitely worth double checking the details above. It sure is great once it works :)

Last edited:
1.) DF-1 driver in crimson and rslinx. (display works with plc fine, and computer works with plc fine)

2.)HW Virtual Serial Port

3.)Crimson port 4000 and VSP port 4000

4.)Com5, Nothing is using com5 on computer.

5.)I followed the pdf file for the rj11 to rs-232 cable,
rj-11 rs-232
1 - not used
2 - 3
3 - 5
4 - not used
5 - 2
6 - not used

I think you also need to short pins 1,6,7,8 on the SLC side of the cable. I believe the SLC does HW serial handshaking so shorting those pins defeats (or should I say permanently enables?) the handshaking. I believe I made that exact same mistake (not shorting those pins) the first time I tried this too.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm not following 'display lose connection to plc'. I forgot to polish my crystal ball this morning:) You have what kind of display hooked to what and how?

Yes, the HMI will stop attempting to poll the PLC. IIRC, it will display a pop-up informing the user of pass-through mode (or maybe I programmed it to do that, it was 2 years ago). I was able to get it to work with a 3 wire simple cable (no handshaking) in the office. I only did it to see if I could make it work, and never really had a need to use the pass-through on the real machine. If I needed to monitor the PLC, on that machine, I also needed some of the HMI buttons to run the thing.

Last edited:
Sorry, My g306 loses connection to plc(display values and functions go blank and stop working) when i try to connect with computer via pass-through.

After shorting wires 1,6,7,8 together it still gets a communications error in rslogix500 when trying to upload image

OkiePC, what kind of VSP software where you using? i have been using the 3 wire with no handshaking between the g306 and plc and havent had issues but the passthrough doesnt seem to be working correctly, what settings for the com port were you using? i am using 19200 baud no parity

Oh, I finally get it, The G306 is connected to the DF-1 port AND you are trying to get pass-through running simultaneously.

You are out of my league now. Sounds like okiepc has tried it to no avail. Maybe time for a call to Red Lion to see if its possible (I'm guessing no?). Maybe time for a SLC5/03 or 5/05 if you are not using that DH+?

Man I'm feeling dense. So you have a G306 connected to the SLC5/04 DF-1 port that you are trying to send the serial through to PC and RSLinx. But you also have the G306 connected to ??? port on the SLC 5/04 for its variable and screen updates?

The G3 is connected from a serial port to the SLC serial port. The G3 is also connected to an Ethernet LAN. From the network (if you hold your tongue just right) you can connect RSLinx (and therefore RSLogix500) to that SLC. The G3 will stop what it is doing, quit updating tags, and only pass data to and from the PC over that serial port. The G3 will handle the virtual port at its end, while some software on your PC unravels the goodies and make them look like serial DF1 before RSLinx gets ahold of them.

I found the freeware to be so-so with reliability (I got kicked offline a few times), but word has it that one of the paid versions of the PC side software (the one recommended by Red Lion) works pretty well even with DF1.

I don't remember my driver selection, but it was important unlike some cases (like when connecting to a SLC serially through a NET-ENI or DigiOneIAP) where any driver under Allen-Bradley seems to work.

Last edited:
I guess theres no reason to keep "beating a dead horse" i will just go back to swapping rs232 cables on the plc when i need to connect, thank you all for your help.