Endress Hauser Micropilot FMR57

engr27

Hi, Im using 2 Micropilot FMR57 to measure aluminum liquid molten metal, it's flowing in open bin type launder.
the distance from the flange to bin bottom is 1220mm.
Flange to bottom of radar horn -> 711mm
The bin width dimension top (opening) -> 220mm, while the bottom -> 150mm.

as per the manual empty calibration -> flange to bottom
and full calibration is level to be measured.
Parameters
Setup → Device tag (→Radar 1)
Distance unit (→ mm)
Bin type (→ Bin/Pile )
Max. filling speed solid (→ Very Fast)
Max. draining speed solid (→ Very Fast )
Empty calibration (→ 1220 )
Full calibration (→ 1000 )
Advance
Level unit (→ mm )

Commissioning using metal or plastic object, got a correct value. However, with the actual molten metal flowing no measurement or reading on radar.

I would like to know, how the radar echo works, and thinks that maybe the required width angle is not sufficient with the bin size. or maybe the parameters are not correct?
Is there any calculations required?

Kindly advise.

Thanks and regards

Launder.JPG

Last edited:
Hmm, We never had much luck w/ the radar systems, used laser triangulation sensors to measure level in the furnaces.

Hmm, We never had much luck w/ the radar systems, used laser triangulation sensors to measure level in the furnaces.

initially, we use the sick laser, but in middle east during summer is really hot. 50deg C + weather plus the furnace heat generated. Install vortex but not enough. That was the reason switching to radar. Seems to go back to laser and improve the cooling
;):unsure:

I cannot commission/test using the liquid metal, that was the challenge. safety and disposal issue.

I use only an object ie. metal, plastic if the radar is reading. And, it was giving a correct value. But, on the actual molten metal no readin at all.

What are you using to configure the radar? Fieldcare or a communicator? Can you view the echo curve and adjust the amplitude threshold?