Proface HMI

labingtone

Hi To all,

I was rushing to power up my Proface HMI model 577RT and Insted of connecting to 110VAC source I connected to 220VAC. My operator HMI produce smoke and when I open the the cover I saw one capacitor thats was exploded on the power supply. My question is do you think that other circuit is affected?

It could be repairable, usually this is handled by the supplier who charges a few hundred dollars just to have a look.

Usually, there is a power supply in the first stage. This is generally a bridge rectifier with a couple of capacitors, a 'chopper' circuit and an HF transformer for isolation. Because of this isolating transformer, I would be confident that only the HV side would be toasted. It may be possible to get a new power supply and swap it out. The LV side should be good.
It may also be possible to replace the destroyed components, but this causes problems.
I found that most bridge rectifiers and capacitors are easy to replace, but for some reason power supply manufacturers always pick some exotic and un-identifiable transistor for the copper circuit. Also, sometimes the control circuit is wired into the HV side with a resistive voltage divider circuit for the required 5-12V power supply that most of these things use. Wiring in the wrong voltage could make this go 'bang' as well.

Over all, I think that there is a good chance that it can be repaired, at least by the supplier or his designated service agent.
I don't think anything on the LV side of the power supply would be effected.

Hope this helps,

Doug

Just wondering, are you sure that it is a capacitor. Many makers use an MOV across the incomming line for surge suppression. If you over voltage these, they draw high current and smoke, they will actually burn up if a fuse or print doesn't blow first. They resemble a "tick" or flat ceramic capacitor. Since you've voided the warranty anyway, it would'nt hurt to check. Of course you may have blown the power transformer primary in which case, the manufacturer will probably be your best bet. If it's an MOV, you can cut it loose, replace the blown fuse or jump the blown print and test the rest of the unit out. A 120 volt MOV is readly available from Radio Shack or any electronics supplier. Good luck..