how to use OPC to get data into Excel on a thin client

annette2002

A
Is it possible to have a client (without iHistorian's Add-in and iHistorian installed on the thin client) getting live data into Excel worksheet from a server running iHistorian 2.0 using OPC RSLinx collector? If so, how do I configure the server and the client to do so?

It is quite simple to get data into Excel using RSLinx. First you need a version of Linx other than Lite such as OEM or Professional. If you have communications to your processor already established in Linx you then configure a dde/opc topic that points to the processor.

In Excel the format to use is this. Let's say you wanted to view the data in F8:4. Your formula would be =RSLINX|MACH1!'F8:4'. In this example MACH1 is the processor name.

Hope this helps.

confusing?

iHistorian is a product of GE Fanuc. It has OPC collector.
RSLinx is a product of Rockwell. OPC RSLinx collector is ????
I don't see how RSLinx has anything to do with iHistorian?
Please explain?

OPC is a standard that allows datacommunication between many platforms and vendors.

RSLinx is an OPC Server.
iHistorian is an OPC Client.

But I think that the "client" that annette is referring to is a PC setup as a "thin client" in an office network.
If it is possible to get connectivity to RSLinx to a thin client I dont know.

I see

Jesper,
Thanks for the info, it explains what Annette meant.
RSLinx is an OPC server as you have correctly pointed out and if
iHistorian is an OPC client and if they both comply with the OPC spec
on the same version level there should be no problem getting it
working. As far as connecting to RSLinx as a client over a network,
you need to use the RSLinx Gateway version:

RSLinx Gateway extends RSLinx-based communication throughout the enterprise by connecting clients over TCP/IP networks. Programming and configuration products such as RSLogix and RSNetWorx use a local RSLinx connection via RSLinx Gateway to communicate to plant floor networks and devices. Remote HMI applications such as RSView32 can use remote OPC to communicate through RSLinx Gateway for data collection. This lets you have multiple distributed computers performing data collection through an RSLinx Gateway to automatically optimize all OPC communication on the subnets connected to the processors.