1761-NET-ENI to Compactlogix

ianingram

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All

Our plant has just received its first compactlogix (1769-L30) PLC, in some new equipment, whereas the rest of the plant is SLC 500 or PLC5

We have tried to connect this beastly little thing to our existing ethernet network (via a 1761-NET-ENI module) without much success :(

I am adamant that we have used the net-eni setup utility program OK, as the module itself does appear in RSWHO (RSLinx) back at the workshop, but the processor icon itself is not displayed.

We are using channel 1 of the PLC, Baud Rate of 38400 with 2 stop bits as per the manual...We can also go online to this processor using our laptop through the same serial port...Ok, Ok we disconnect the net-eni first, then...

Anybody got any ideas

(particularly Ken :D )

It makes me cringe, but the original Series A firmware of the Net-ENI wasn't compatible with CompactLogix. Something about the DF1 bridging byte getting hosed up during the EtherNet/IP to DF1 conversion. You also need a recent build of RSLinx, version 2.40 or later.

There's a technote on that;
P35738299

Let us know if you get it sorted out.

Rudimentary questions first.

First of all, The CompactLogix must be at a firmware 8.17 or higher which means RSL5000 software version 8 or newer, and the ENI must be a series 'B'.
You must be using 1761-CBL-AP00 or 1761-CBL-PM02 cable.

Have you set-up an ENI before?

Thanks guys for your responses

It will be a few days (Sunday) before I can back to this job, however

- I am 95% sure that we are using the latest version of RSLinx, but I will confirm this asap

-It is a series B NET-ENI

-I have set up a net-eni previously with a SLC 5/04 using a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable

-We are using RSLogix 5000 ver 11.11.

As I wrote previously, it is as if the net-eni won't talk to the plc, as the net-eni is displayed ok in RSWho... This means that if I start-up the RSLogix 5000, go to comms, then "Who Active", I can see the net-eni icon, but the tab for "Online" is grayed out/cannot be selected..

(After Sunday I should be able to include screen-shots with my posts)

It is now Sunday & I can't get this thing to work..

Have been through 2 Technotes (G20843831 and P35738299) and still no closer, but I found the following in the NET-ENI manual..

Why are there 2 NET-ENI's used?
Why can't the PC access the CompactLogix through it's ethernet card

Any suggestions?

snag-001.jpg

ianingram said:
Why are there 2 NET-ENI's used?

This is the typical arrangement for a series 'A' ENI. The series 'B' should allow you to connect to the Compactlogix with the PC's ethernet port.

On the ENI's that I have set up in the past, I left the RS-232 settings at default. I see you set it to 38400 with 2 stop bits. Try setting the Compactlogix/ENI back to defaults. The manual says to use 38400 for the "fastest" data exchange.

Yee-Hah I got it sorted out... (with a bit of help :rolleyes: )

1. My RSLinx was missing 2 "EDS" files (I should have paid a bit more attention to one of the technotes)

2. The serial port of the CompactLogix had to be set to "NO HANDSHAKE", as opposed to its (default ?) setting of "FULL DUPLEX", but I can't remember actually seeing this in writing, I just found it through trial and error.

3. It does work Ok at baud=38400

4. The local A-B distributor (Len at Robtec ;) ), e-mailed me a up-to-date ENI manual which shows a different network layout picture than the one I posted

Thanks to those who responded