AB Pico problems...Again!

So I’m trying to write a program for a small stand alone press. We had some pico controllers in stock and figured it would take care of what i needed. 6 inputs (Footswitch, LS1, LS2, E Stop, Pump Start, Pump Stop) and 5 outputs (hyd up, hyd down, pnu clamp, PLC Ready light, Pump starter). They have been working off of this press for the last 5 days no problem. Today I added the pump start and pump stop and the controller just stopped firing the hyd up and down outputs. I checked for normal bugs like duplicate addresses but everything seemed normal. What kind of limitations do they have? Factory memory? I wrote 6 lines of code and hadlnt used half of the inputs. The unit wasn’t in the box when I took it off the shelf so it’s possible I could’ve fried the contacts somehow but very unlikely...

I couldn’t say, that was going to be the first thing I try in the morning. However, if that is the case, what would I do then? Its a simple start stop with a seal-in. About as standard of an instruction as you can write.

Copy, zip , and Attach the current program that you are trying to use to a post here in the thread. Maybe someone can review it for you and find the problem.

After reviewing the file in post #5, I cannot see why it failed to function. I see nothing that would prevent it from working. I see some need for more features, such as "Single Stroke", "Continuous" and something to prevent the foot switch from being held down, just to mention a few.

I am curious to know if you may have changed something when you re-wrote the two rungs.

Last edited:
After reviewing the file in post #5, I cannot see why it failed to function. I see nothing that would prevent it from working. I see some need for more features, such as "Single Stroke", "Continuous" and something to prevent the foot switch from being held down, just to mention a few.

I am curious to know if you may have changed something when you re-wrote the two rungs.

Being a small press, the op’s didn’t want anything special like a continuos mode. The press takes a dog bone (imagine a shackle without a bend) and puts the first u-bend into it, they then take it to another press for further bending. So a cont is unnecessary. How would you suggest I could interlock the footswitch as to make it inoperable if held down? Not just for this project but others I’ve been working on as well. Lastly, I didn’t change a thing. The best guess I could come up with is maybe the rinky dink programming cable came unplugged while downloading?

Edit: I do however want to add a a jog up and down. This is a fairly easy thing to do on RSLogix but I’m not sure if I have the method right on the pico. I interlock the jog up and down with an N.C. limit switch input and I use Q02 and Q04 but when I do that only jog will work and the auto feature is gone. I guess having two many interactions on the Q bit is prohibited? How can I associate a marker bit with the Q (output) bit?

Last edited:
This might not work or may need additional changes but here is a revised version of your file to inhibit the footswitch from being effective for more than one second if held down. Use at your own risk. I added a Timer timing (Single Pulse) in rungs 10 and 11 and used the M contacts to replace the footswitch in rungs 1 and 8.

The jog feature will require at least one additional input and programming to select between "Jog" and "Single". The revised program does like a "Single" at the moment.
It will also require some of the current "Q" bits to be changed to "M" bits plus more rungs to drive the "Q" bits with the "M"bits. Hard to explain with words but may this will get you started.

Last edited:
To associate a Marker bit with a Q bit, replace the Q bit coil with an M bit coil in the original rung, then, on a new rung, use the M bit contact to operate that particular Q bit coil that you replaced.

This might not work or may need additional changes but here is a revised version of your file to inhibit the footswitch from being effective for more than one second if held down. Use at your own risk. I added a Timer timing (Single Pulse) in rungs 10 and 11 and used the M contacts to replace the footswitch in rungs 1 and 8.

The jog feature will require at least one additional input and programming to select between "Jog" and "Single". The revised program does like a "Single" at the moment.
It will also require some of the current "Q" bits to be changed to "M" bits plus more rungs to drive the "Q" bits with the "M"bits. Hard to explain with words but may this will get you started.

I added an 800T On-Off-On switch for jog Up and jog down so that will take care of two inputs. Thank you very much for your time, I will take a look at this program this morning.