FactoryTalk View Studio -Communication Setup

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

I have some modifications I'm doing to a Panelview Plus application. The integrator did this project. I'm trying to add some new tags to the HMI. I simply took the Runtime , and converted over to an application .

Now everytime I create a Runtime , I get the following message
in Notepad below , with about a 100 of these display errors and it does not create the Runtime file .

When I do a Test Application , it says it cannot create a runtime , but asked if I want to do it anyway,I say yes , and
the Test Application runs.

What could cause this ?

Thanks so much. FYI , it does it on two laptops.

ERROR: Unsupported feature=Gradient Shading; Component type=Displays; Component name=Mixer 0 Scale 2 Weight Ack; Object name=Display Settings

ERROR: Unsupported feature=Gradient Shading; Component type=Displays; Component name=Sugar Station Draw Position; Object name=Display Settings

ERROR: Unsupported feature=Gradient Shading; Component type=Displays; Component name=Settings - Silo 11 Line Purge; Object name=Display Settings

Validation completed with errors. The runtime application has NOT been created.

ERROR: Unsupported feature=Gradient Shading; Component type=Displays; Component name=Mixer 0 Scale 2 Weight Ack; Object name=Display Settings

Sounds like gradient shading isn't supported in whatever version of runtime you're selecting to create.

What FactoryTalk View Studio Version are you using? What version is the runtime you converted to an application? What version are you trying to create?

See http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=81097

FactoryTalk View Studio 10.0
Runtime 6.10

Could renaming on conversion from Runtime to Application cause
that behaviour ?

I don't think the gradient errors are actually preventing the runtime from being generated, there is most likely another error buried in there somewhere. We have a guy (you know who you are!) who insists on using gradients and spamming the log file with those errors, it will still generate the runtime and run fine.

The PanelView will actually display horizontal and vertical gradients, just not diagonal. If you create something that used horizontal gradients, then rotate it, they would then be treated as diagonal and FT will gripe about it.

Could renaming on conversion from Runtime to Application cause that behaviour ?
I doubt it.

If, as dmroeder suggests, it is a different error buried in amongst red herrings, the likely cause is something you added. If you create a fresh application from the original runtime, can you then immediately create a runtime from that without making any changes? If so, something you added is unsupported in 6.1.

P.S. I've never used a gradient, so I don't know anything about any errors with it, but the issue with diagonal gradient fills is the subject of Rockwell technote https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/624442 (access level: everyone)

Edit: Interestingly, the technote specifies the environment as version 7 or greater…