Square D Sy/Max Programming

NickOkeeffe

Hi everyone/anyone..

I am looking to program an old Square D Sy/Max Model 300 processor with 8 slots of I/O, wondering has anyone had any experience with this in the past as I could probably do with some

I have the cables to communicate and software on it’s way from the US so just been reading through the programming manual ready. I’ve had a PLC engineer to come look the at the PLC in question already but he has had trouble sending over the register data (the ladder sends over fine), I’m thinking that maybe the rack addressing is wrong

If anyone has any advice on this?

Thanks
Nick

Why would you want to resurrect a dinosaur that is not longer made or supported that came from a company that has not existed (but in name only) for over 20 years?

Has it got any register cards in the rack or is it all digital I/O ? It has been many years since I have used it 1983 to be precise
Are you sure it uses registers many older systems only used digital I/O and rarely did any communications or number crunching, also if my memory serves me right 1-460 are internal registers are located internally, I say lost a lot of brain cells since the 80's so it's a bit vague

Last edited:
To restate jraef's thought another way, the extra time it will take to come up to speed on this equipment will cost more than it would take to buy a new PLC, and way more than replacing it with parts from eBay.

Unless this is a fun, in-the-home, can-this-make-my-garage-door-go-up-and-down project.

Try these posts

Last edited:
Has it got any register cards in the rack or is it all digital I/O ? It has been many years since I have used it 1983 to be precise
Are you sure it uses registers many older systems only used digital I/O and rarely did any communications or number crunching, also if my memory serves me right 1-460 are internal registers are located internally, I say lost a lot of brain cells since the 80's so it's a bit vague

The rack contains 3 input cards (Type HIM 131) and 5 output cards (Type HOM 241), so take it they are digital I/O. We are able send the rungs across to the PLC (which is loaded from an identical machine) but stops when loading the registers. I can send you across a picture of the screen where the transfer stops?

I appreciate your time Parky!

I would love to replace the PLC with a new Mitsubishi or S7 equivalent, unfortunately the PLC we are using has 62 inputs & 40 outputs. Meaning a PLC of that spec would cost £1.5k, plus programming and on site commissioning (I've been on to 2 companies and this is estimated at around a months work) I would then need to upgrade all safety interlocks and relays within the control panel and would then be cheaper to replace the control panel also (Costing around £30k+, not to mention downtime of the machine)... SyMax is the way forward for now!

You may not need to transfer the registers for a couple of reasons. 1. None are used in the program. 2. The data in any of the registers may not be needed as far as a back up i.e. any data is generated and not retentive so may not contain fixed values like a recipe but the only way to find that out is to look through the program. It's been many years since I used the 300 and I did not use registers it was pure digital contacts programmed with the CRT programmer, this did not hold the program it was literally rung by rung downloaded to the PLC, the only way of backing up was with tape so the download of registers is something I'm not familiar with.