ML1400 to Powerflex400 RS485 Help

Jason Ozolins

I've read a bunch of the post on here as far as communicating between the ML1400 Channel 0 and the Powerflex 400 via RS485. I cannot for the life of me get it to work properly. I am using the 1763-NC01 connector. Right now I have A/B connected to pins 4/5 on the RJ45. I have tried swapping, and think I have the right config as when I swap one way, the Port LED flashes red, and clears to Green the opposite config. I have channel 0 in the PLC set up correctly as No Handshaking (485) and I get no response when sending a msg. I have confirmed comms rate & node address.

Terminal 20 on the VFD is connected to ground... and I missing something on the NC01? I have tried with a jumper in COM to CGND and without.

Thanks for any advice.

Attached is how I have the NC01 Wired. TERM & A Jumpered, SHLD & CGND jumpered. I have A going to Pin 5 of RJ45 and B going to Pin 4 of RJ45, and SHLD going to Terminal 20 on Powerflex Board.

IMG_3675.jpg

I didn't have any 120 ohm resistors so I had to put 4 33 ohm in series to get close to 120. I have C102-107 configured properly as well. Do I need 120 ohm resistor on the NC01? Thought jumping to TERM took care of that. I appreciate every and any suggestion. All I want to do is write to speed reference but get zero response from VFD. I know the cable/NC01 works because I communicated with a modscan to the PLC thru my computer and USB 485 converter.

I don't think resistor would be a problem in short wire jumps and NC01 has built in for that end.

It is +1 addressing tho, so maybe look at that. How are messages set up?