ControlLogix and PanelView RIO

automfg

Hello,
I have been trying to learn how to communicate to a panelview display using control logix with a 1756-dhrio module, using the remote i/o communications. I have searched this forum and allen bradleys knowledge base articles. This is what I think I know:

1)configure 1756-DHRIO module for RIO, this I have done and have no problems with.

2)create read and write messages in the control logix program, again done and no problem.

3)set up the panelview terminal setup screen to panelview 1000 and protocol to RIO. done and have no problems.

4)set up panelview communications (HERE IS WHERE MY PROBLEMS BEGIN)
a) 1st I set PLC/SCANNER TYPE to the CONTROLLOGIX setting and SET Name to THE correct Address.
b) 2nd set up the block transfer addresses. Here I set the block transfer addresses to the same tags reffered to in the plc message setup instructions in my controllogix plc program.
ADDRESS: PV_READ_DATA, MODE: READ, LENGTH: 64
ADDRESS: PV_WRITE_DATA, MODE: WRITE, LENGHT: 64
AND CHECK THE ENABLED BOX NEXT TO BOTH.
icon8.gif
Now when I try to VALIDATE the program I get the error (8055) which is invalid panelview terminal block transfer channel address. So I uncheck the enabled box next to the block transfer addresses and VALIDATE again and the error dissapears. THIS TELLS ME MY BLOCK TRANSFER TAGS ARE NOT CORRECT.

SO further research has showed me that I now have to map my control logix tags to the plc 5 type addressing in the plc. This I think I can do with no problem. BUT I ONLY HAVE A COPY OF PANELBUILDER32 AND NOT RSLOGIX5000 AT HOME.

now looking at the examples from ab's knowledge base for the panelview setup I find that I do not set the PLC/SCANNER type to CONTROLLOGIX but to a plc 5 processor type.

icon5.gif

is this correct and if so which plc 5 processor do i choose being there are many to choose from in the drop down menu?

icon5.gif

and if in the plc I mapped say
PV_WRITE_DATA (INT type) to FILE N7
and my array is 64 bits long i now address these bits in panel view as:

PLC --------------------> PANELVIEW
PV_WRITE_DATA[0].0 -------> N7:0/0
PV_WRITE_DATA[0].1 -------> N7:0/1
ETC...ETC...ETC
PV_WRITE_DATA[0].15-------> N7:0/15

SO NOW MY PANELVIEW BLOCK TRANSFERS ARE SET TO

ADDRESS: N7:0, MODE: WRITE, LENGTH: 64
ADDRESS: N7:100 MODE: READ, LENGHT:64
DOES THIS LOOK CORRECT?

ANY HELP IS APRECIATED AND WELCOME BEING THIS IS ANOTHER LEARNING EXPERIENCE FOR ME.

This can be confusing...

You don't need to do mapping in the ControlLogix - that is for DH+ communications.

The address that you enter in PanelBuilder for the block transfers is NOT the address in the PLC. It is the address you use in the PanelBuilder tag database. I think (not sure) these have to be PLC5 - type integer addresses.

The array address you enter in the CLX message instruction is where the data is sourced or received.

The RIO PanelView does not know where the block transfer data originates or ends up. When working with a PLC5, it is convenient to use the same integer addresses in both the PanelView and the PLC, however that is purely arbitrary. The PanelView identifies the various block transfers by their length. You may have read that each BTR and each BTW must have a unique length. That is no two BTR's with the same length and no two BTW's with the same length.
SO NOW MY PANELVIEW BLOCK TRANSFERS ARE SET TO

ADDRESS: N7:0, MODE: WRITE, LENGTH: 64
ADDRESS: N7:100 MODE: READ, LENGHT:64
DOES THIS LOOK CORRECT?
That's fine.
N7:0-63 and N7:100-163 are address references in your PanelBuilder tag database.
In CLX you need two INT[64] arrays - one for the write and one for the read.