Rockwell Software - moving activation to dongle

stylemismatch

We bought RSLogix 500, RSLogix 5000, and FT View Studio (all were the download versions) a couple of months ago, and have the activation files on a single laptop. We've since decided it would be easier to divide the activations up amongst a couple of dongles. I've been searching through the help files to figure out how to accomplish this and so far they're anything but helpful (Why the hell Rockwell still has help files that talk about moving activations to a floppy is beyond me - you'd think with what this software costs that it would come with decent documentation).

Anyway, can someone give me a step by step procedure for moving these activations to dongles? (Kind of a 'Moving Activations for Dummies').

Thanks

Open Factory Talk Activation Manager
Manage Activations tab
Click on Rehost Activations
Select if you have internet access or not on that computer
Click Select Activations
Check which one(s) you want to move at that time
Click on Complete Rehosting
Follow the prompts to move 1 or more activations to a HASP dongle

(I don't know about over-priced, my dongle ONLY cost $178.00 including inbound freight! Not bad for a $8.00 flash drive.)

Last edited:
a consistent problem I have is that I forget the dongle when I have to go into the field. the same thing would be true with an activation server so there is no solution. Just ranting.

One more question. In the activation manager product list I see RSLogix 500, FT View Studio, and RSLogix Architect.

RSLogix 5000 is not listed, am I correct in assuming that it's part of the RSLogix Architect?

thanks

One thing that's throwing me is that under "Borrow Activations" I see 4 items - FT View Studio, RSLogix 500, RSLogix 5000, and RSLogix Architect, but under the "Rehost Activations" tab the RSLogix 5000 is missing.

Hmmm. Have you refreshed the server? Have you utilized the RSLogix5000 license recently? I have had situations where I could not borrow a license for quite some time after it was in use. You might try rebooting the machine, then wait a few minutes before running FTAM.

Hmmm..... Have you utilized the RSLogix5000 license recently? I have had situations where I could not borrow a license for quite some time after it was in use.....

That's strange because I haven't used RSLogix on this machine for over a week, but have just now been using FTView Studio.

Last edited:
FYI, you might be able to get away with using a usb-ethernet adaptor instead of an AB dongle. Tie the license to the usb-ethernet adaptor ID, copy the license files to the computers that will use it.

Cheaper and gives you a dedicated network interface.