SLC 5/04 & PanelView 550

msinclair

I've got a strange one here . . .

I have a production line with a SLC 5/04 (1747-L542) communicating via DH485 to a PanelView 550. The line has been running for 6-7 years - no issue. The SLC has suddenly stopped "communicating".

The PV displays the message: "No Active Nodes Found On Network"
When I browse in RS-Linx, I am unable to find the processor.

After trying a handful of things, I assumed that I had a bad processor, but a swap of processors has given me the same behavior.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong?

Thanks,

Marc

make shure that the node adress is the same in the new processor as the old one. i believe the pv default is node 2 but would have to look again. but it is possible that the first one could be bad and maybe the node address is off on the second. i am not exactly an expert in panel views but i had a similar incident with a pv 600 on dh+ and it was with nodes. hope this helps. (ok now all you AB geniuses jump in and save the day) banghead

Guesses:

1. Bad connection between the PV and the SLC5/02. Check out the cables and 1747-AIC module. Cant you get online without the PV attached ? Cant you get online even if you switch CPUs and the PV isnt attached ?

edit: "When I browse in RS-Linx, I am unable to find the processor." Do you browse on DH485 or DH+ ?

2. Original program was never writtem to EPROM. The program only lasted as long as the battery. Does the PLC seem to be "alive" and working, apart from the faulty DH485 connection ?
When you switched CPUs, how did you move the program ? With the EPROM ?

Last edited:
Things that I noticed, if you are using a 5/04 than you should be communicating using DH+ and not DH485 (this is for 5/03,02,01).
What software are you using to go ONLine to the SLC?
Once on line are you using RSlinx Passthru?
If you are connecting directly to the PV with RS232 you will not be able to "see" any other nodes.
Verify the SLC and PV nodes also make sure that you are using the correct network.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the replies. To answer a few questions:

When I swapped processors, yes, the DH-485 node address was the same.

Also, the processor is definitely working (both cases) - I can make large parts of the line work - just not what I use the PanelView to initiate.

The DH+ channel is in use for another network, I have an issue there which I think is unrelated - I'll post more once I've had a chance to debug some more today.

Again - this line has been running for about 6 or 7 years, and I have gone on-line using the DH-485 network many times to make changes/edits. I know this worked the way I was troubleshooting last night.

My initial thought was that the processor comm channel was bad (since I could see the PV but not the processor while browsing the '485 network with RSLinx, and I could tell that the processor was actively working).

I am now inclined to agree with Jesper's 1st guess - the AIC and/or something else in the cabling. I'll post more later.

Thanks,

Marc

Marc,

I'm leaning towards Jesper's suggestion's on this one. Can you tell us if an EEPROM is involved? If it is, is the program set to automatically load on a fault? It sounds like the baud rate for your Channel 0 may be getting reset to something other than what your PV is looking for. I had this happen once where the battery went and CH0 got reset to 1200 rather than the 19.2K it was originally.

Good Luck,
Jeff

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. It turned out to be a bad 1747-AIC. Fortunately I had one in my spares stock, so we are up and running.

Any thoughts on what could cause a 1747-AIC coupler to go bad?

As I suspected, the DH+ issue was totally unrelated (checksum issue with an Ormec unit on that network).

Thanks,

Marc

Marc,
Check the nod address,inCPU status file,
probably this happen after,inexpectate loss power But on SLC-500,will find mainly DH-485,noDH+,have you there somePLC-5

DeepSIX said:
Things that I noticed, if you are using a 5/04 than you should be communicating using DH+ and not DH485 (this is for 5/03,02,01).
What software are you using to go ONLine to the SLC?
Once on line are you using RSlinx Passthru?
If you are connecting directly to the PV with RS232 you will not be able to "see" any other nodes.
Verify the SLC and PV nodes also make sure that you are using the correct network.

Incorrect the 5/04 is quite capable of connecting through DH485 using channel 1 configured correctly.

MSinclair:

If the channel 1 port has a cable plugged into it going to an aic or the pv550 then how are you connecting with RSLinx ?

Also has any changes been made on this system recently ?

Has the PV550 got a Comms light on it (cant remember been a while since i used one of these!)

What are the processor (5/04) lights doing ?

A guess would be perhaps the 5/03 has no eeprom, the battery is flat, and the user program has gone ???

Swopping out with another processor would only work if you downloaded the program to it ?