O.T. Converting PRN file to a PDF.

elevmike

Problem: I need to find an application or utility to create a .PDF file from an graphical .PRN file created by a DOS based version of Turbocad. Right now I'm forced to hard print the drawings and then re-scan them into a PDF. This is time consuming, degrades the quality of the pdf and creates a much larger file then necessary. A pdf "printer" such as pdf995 dosnt seem to work. I've googled and downloaded a few applications but I've gotten nowhere.

Any Ideas??

thanks.

Printing to a 'virtual' Windows printer from DOS? Doesn't sound likely... :(

Does your version of TurboCAD export in any other formats (like DXF)? If so, I'd be willing to print them out through AutoCAD via Distiller in my spare time.

Another thought... Will a newer (IOW, Windows) version of TurboCAD read the older files?

🍻

-Eric

Hello Mike.
Adobe does come with a distiller. you can try that one. Or other than that the 'print screen' key can be helpful at times.
Print Screen > paste to paint or imaging(do whatever editing you want)>print to adobe acrobat

regards
Sherine T.

edit: Maybe this web may help.

Last edited:
Eric Nelson said:
Printing to a 'virtual' Windows printer from DOS? Doesn't sound likely... :(

Update: Actually I can print the file to a network laser printer by using something called FastPrint. It's a Windows based utility. So while in DOS I print to a file and get a .PRN file. Then back to Windows, then open FastPrint, and choose the PRN file...Works fine.

So I chose to print it to a PDF printer (PDF995) and get nothing. Actually I'm beginning to think that it may be a problem with the pdf printer, since I can print it to other "windows" printers.

Eric Nelson said:
Does your version of TurboCAD export in any other formats (like DXF)? If so, I'd be willing to print them out through AutoCAD via Distiller in my spare time.

It dosnt seem to be able to create any other type of file but the native "TC" files, or the *.PRN type file. I'm not totally in the Dark Ages, so I can print DWG & DFX files. The problem is that I have so many drawings in TC that I cant afford the time to re-draw them in AutoCad.

Eric Nelson said:
Another thought... Will a newer (IOW, Windows) version of TurboCAD read the older files?.

I cant find any evidence of this. It seems that the newer versions of TurboCad are totally incompatable with the DOS version.

George,

Thanks for the link I installed primopdf and it worked like a dream....except for printing my drawings from a .prn file....All I get is a blank page. It actually is MUCH faster then PDF995 for printing windows documents though.

Glenn,

That's the idea, but for some reason all the converters I tried dont seem to work for this. (not sure if I'm doing someting wrong). However I can print a hardcopy of the .prn file to an HP-IIIp. (supposedly PCL-5 postscript). On my desk I have an HP4110 and all I get is garbage. (so33nbvlsjhgoser...*34% bla..bla). So the file is apparently spicific to the HP-IIIp printer somehow??

Thanks for the replys...

Mike,

Post a prn file that came from Turbocad. Also, what version of Windows are you using? I can try a few things.

George

George,

Thanks for the offer. I'm using Windows XP home. We also have XP Pro, or Win98SE. (I've been woring on an XP home & pro machine only...so far).

The attached file is a simple drawing of a ladder. This is what I've been using to figure this out because it's a small file.

Just change the extention to .PRN.

Thanks again.

Edit, The drawing is too large, I'll have to do another...

Last edited:
elevmike said:
...I can print a hardcopy of the .prn file to an HP-IIIp. (supposedly PCL-5 postscript). On my desk I have an HP4110 and all I get is garbage. (so33nbvlsjhgoser...*34% bla..bla). So the file is apparently spicific to the HP-IIIp printer somehow??
You might want to try the idea on THIS page.

The /B switch might get rid of the jibberish... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

Eric Nelson said:
You might want to try the idea on THIS page.

The /B switch might get rid of the jibberish...

I just tried the command line in that link. after a few minutes I get a message back "the device is not connected, 0 files copied"

Bummer...

How's this Mike?... :cool:

ladder.jpg

I used the demo of a program called EscapeE located HERE. It claims to print PDFs directly, but you can probably use your own PDF printer too. I was able to print a PDF from this program using Distiller.

🍻

-Eric