Powerflex 525 AOI

Alphite

Hi,

I need to set up a mixing station with 7 PF 525s. All I need is start, stop, forward, reverse and a fault message. Each mixer should be controlled by rpm, and this should also be displayed on the HMI (so I have to convert rpm to frequency at some point).

My question is whether or not the AOI is the right way to go. I'm relatively new to programming, and would like to implement the simplest solution for this, that is easiest to debug. The AOI has bits to switch between operator and program command, and I'm not sure if I can just remove all of these and use the remaining code?

Does anyone have examples they could share?

Thanks

Hey,
I recommend the AOI. Comes with Icons and Faceplates too. If you want to negate the operator vs program modes you can hard code logic to lock it one or the other modes.

Build your own AOI, using the AB-provided AOI as a "how to" guide to get you started. I've done this for just about every device I've ever used, and never regretted it once. My team loves it because every program looks the same and we can all work on each other's code seamlessly; the customer loves it because their maintenance guys aren't interested in looking through reams of ladder logic which does the background communication to the drive, they just want to see what makes the motor go (or not go). The "black box that just works" is appealing to the simpler-minded maintenance people, and if one of them does want to get more into the intricacies of the control, they can open up the AOI and have a look, but can't break anything.

I started out using the face plates and AOI provided by Rockwell for the 525 series many years ago. I quickly realized that they were a bit complicated in regards to scaling and displaying the correct decimal place on the HMI. Also, it got me for a bit not having code that wouldn't allow an operator to switch the Face plate object to the operator mode instead of program mode, leaving the machine unable to operate. They took some studying!

After spending some time with a few integrators I saw there were much nicer, simpler ways to get it done. If you have the basic understanding of how your 525 command and monitor logic needs to be then I say make an AOI and a faceplate to suit your needs and use it over and over. It will become better each time you fix or improve it and eventually if done right, operators and maintenance will use it a lot.

My main motor pop up includes the state, running, interlocked, starting or stopping. Faulted or ready. A selection for manual to auto and set points for both as well as fwd rev if its selected to be visible in the AOI logic. Deeper pages include past alarms, forward and reverse interlocks, run time and just about anything else you can think of.

The supplied ones are good to learn for sure but...ugghh.