Rs Logix 500 And 5000

sanjay_snj

Hi all !

if any body has idea, please clarify me. it is breaking my head and i am not able to go ahead without clarification.

Actually I am using RS Logix 500 for AB SLC500 PLCs. This software is installed on my lap top in WIN98 OS.

For my new coming project, the contractor is supplying RS LOGIX 5000 for the PLCs installed in this new project.

My problem is , can I load the RS Logix 5000 in the same Lap Top and use the previous projects.

Is it possible to keep both versions in the same computer ?

Also if I open the projects of RS Logix 500 in RS Logix 5000, whether I can download in my previous PLCs without any problems.

I have asked the contractor, but they are only responsible for new coming projects, so they cannot confirm me the same.

So if any body is having idea about this, please reply.

with regards,

sanjay

RS logix5000 is a deferent program its not an upgrade to RS 500
u will not be able to open a slc500 program rs5000

I'm not sure if 5K runs on 98. Try installing it. For your other questions:

Yes, both can reside on the same computer. Both can use the same RSLinx install, however you may need to install a newer version for 5K.

500 uses a .rss extension and 5K uses .aeh extension for project files, so that won't be confused as to what project goes with what program.

You cannot open / use a 500 program in 5K, in other words, 5K is not like other computer programs that can read/use previous older files. Each does it's own series of plcs.

RSLogix 5000 and 500 are two completely different programs. Blue2 is correct, the project files are quite different and there is no possibility of opening an SLC500 PLC project with RSLogix5000.

Both programs can use the same open instance of RSLinx at the same time.

RSLogix 500 is used with the earlier generation SLC500 and MicroLogix 1500/1200/1100/1000 family of Programmable Logic Controllers.

RSLogix 5000 is used with the new generation of "ControlLogix" Programmable Automation Controllers. Your laptop will need to be upgraded to Win2000 or WinXP to run this software, it is not supported on Win98. From the Release Notes:

"To use RSLogix 5000 software effectively, your personal computer must meet the following hardware and software requirements.

Hardware Requirements

The personal computer must meet these minimum requirements. Using a computer meeting these recommendations will improve performance.

Characteristic Minimum Required Recommended
Processor Pentium II Pentium 3 or better
Speed 450 MHz 733 MHz
RAM Memory 128 Mbytes 256 Mbytes
Hard Disk Space 150 Mbytes free 300 Mbytes free
Video 800 x 600 pixels, 256 colors 1024 x 768 pixels, True Color
Pointing Device Any Windows-compatible pointing device Any Windows-compatible pointing device
Software Requirements

You must have installed these software products:

1 The operating system must any of these:

2 Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 or XP Home, or

3 Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 1, 2, 3, or 4, or

4 Microsoft Windows NT Workstation Version 4.0, with Service Pack 5 or Service Pack 6a.

RSLogix 5000 software does not support Windows NT 3.51, Windows NT 3.50, Windows ME, Windows 98SE, Windows 98, Windows 95, or Windows 3.x operating systems.

1 RSLinx communication software is not required to install RSLogix 5000. Note, however, that it IS required in order to perform online communication with controllers.

2 Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 must be installed on the same computer on which the RSLogix 5000 software will be installed, for version V13.00 and later. This software is included as part of the RSLogix 5000 installation."

Last edited:
There is a software utility availalbe in RSLogix5000 under Tools->Translate PLC/SLC that will allow you to import a RSLogix 500 or RSLogix 5 program into RSLogix-5000, but after you do the import there is alot of clean up work to do and all the IO has to be aliased. You need to refer to the online documentation as there are several issues of which you need be aware. It can hoever save you having to recode the entire project. On the downside, if you really want to take advantage of the Logix5K features simply translating the program isn't going to cut it.