Rs logix 500 question !!!!

mer

HELLO AGAIN PLC Gurus,I need to change one number in a allen bradely 5/05 im not at all familiar with rs logix, direct logic is my preference,so i thought id pratice with a micro logix 1000 and i soon found out that i couldn't make change to certain things in the program such as adding contacts in a rung while in online programing but i could make timer and count changes my question is to make major changes in a program do you have to copy program then go offline edit copy then go back online clear program then upload edited copy is this the way you have to do it in rs logix programs because i cant seem to edit rungs such as add contacts in online program mode any help would be very helpful and if i haven't added enough info just let me know what you need for a answer again thanks in advance ...mer

I would recomend opening the help file. Type "Online Editing" and there is quite a bit of info. (read anything assosiated with that topic) It is easier than trying to explain it here. Too much info!

With the 5/05, you can perform online edits including adding or deleting rungs and instructions. The Micrologix 1000 does not support this feature as you have learned.

You cannot change the size of the data tables or add new program files while online. If you need to create new ladder files or data tables, or change the size of an existing data table, then you must do that offline and then download the changes. It is a good idea to have spare ladder files and data table space for this reason, so that you don't have to shut down a process later on.

to make major changes in a program do you have to copy program then go offline edit copy then go back online clear program then upload edited copy

IF (that's a big IF) you DO need to go offline to make a change, you do NOT have to clear out the old program before you install the new/changed/edited program ...

and the word that you want is DOWNLOAD to send the program TO the PLC FROM the computer ...

you're saying UPLOAD which could get you into some serious trouble if you get in a hurry and go the wrong way ...

here's a thread (sort of long) that seems to have helped quite a few people with the types of questions you're asking ...

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=6785

and finally - while there is a lot of good material in the online help files, remember that it was written by humans - and therefore subject to errors ... below is one of my personal favorites ... (hint: there is no such thing as a lower-case "d" when you edit in RSLogix) ... so if you run into something that doesn't look quite "right" just post a question here on the forum and we'll take a look at it for you ...

little_d.jpg

Last edited:
I have been but to no avail yet!!!

was i sort of right???? about having to copy then edit ??? OH correction im praticing on a micro logix 1200..with a allready downloaded program thanks anyway.........

HEY are you the same RON BEAUFORT ????

IF (that's a big IF) you DO need to go offline to make a change, you do NOT have to clear out the old program before you install the new/changed/edited program ...

and the word that you want is DOWNLOAD to send the program TO the PLC FROM the computer ...

you're saying UPLOAD which could get you into some serious trouble if you get in a hurry and go the wrong way ...

here's a thread (sort of long) that seems to have helped quite a few people with the types of questions you're asking ...

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=6785

and finally - while there is a lot of good material in the online help files, remember that it was written by humans - and therefore subject to errors ... below is one of my personal favorites ... (hint: there is no such thing as a lower-case "d" when you edit in RSLogix) ... so if you run into something that doesn't look quite "right" just post a question here on the forum and we'll take a look at it for you ...
are you the same RON BEAUFORT that does the plc classes ...

yes, for better or for worse, I am that same individual ...

when I'm not teaching, washing the dishes, or doing my own laundry, I hang out here on the forum and learn something new every day ...

Git,

What a lot of young guys fail to realize is that doing the dishes and laundry can have benefits that cannot be mentioned on this forum!(y)

The problem is that after a day of doing dishes and laundry one is too tired to pursue the fringe benefits that cannot be mentioned on this forum. o_O

Git,

What a lot of young guys fail to realize is that doing the dishes and laundry can have benefits that cannot be mentioned on this forum!(y)

I know that others have got me beat, but.... I have been with my wife for 22 (happy) years so yes... I do know how to do the dishes (y)