Allen Bradley Compactlogix L24ER QB1B - Not being recognized by PC

Dsalfveby

Hello. I am new to the world of PLC's. We just bought a Compactlogix L24ER QB1B and I am now trying to connect to RSLinx. However, the program does not recognize it. I have been doing a bunch of reading and troubleshooting as to how to solve this problem but haven't found anything yet.

The weird thing is that the PLC shows up in the Device Manager in Control Panel but when go into its Properties and Update Driver, it does not update automatically over the internet.

In RSLinx it does not automatically recognize it via USB and does not let me configure a USB driver.

I also read that potentially Rockwell Automation Driver Package x64 needs to be installed but when looking at Programs and Features, it is not.

Any ideas?

OS - Windows 10

Last edited:
Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Did you buy the controller from an authorized distributor, or used on the gray market ?

What version of RSLinx Classic do you have installed ?

I've never had to install anything but RSLinx Classic to make a controller show up over USB in RSLinx.

Have you tried connecting the controller locally to your Ethernet network and using the BOOTP/DHCP utility to configure its Ethernet port ?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

1) Did you buy the controller from an authorized distributor, or used on the gray market ?

2) What version of RSLinx Classic do you have installed ?

I've never had to install anything but RSLinx Classic to make a controller show up over USB in RSLinx.

3) Have you tried connecting the controller locally to your Ethernet network and using the BOOTP/DHCP utility to configure its Ethernet port ?

1) Yes, bought from an authorized distributor.

2) v3.73.00

3) I have not and I wouldn't know where to begin!

One more important not I forgot in my original post. The "OK" LED is constantly blinking on the front of our controller. I read this could be a number of things but for us is most likely a firmware update for the PLC itself. However, the articles I've read on how to update the firmware involve doing it via RSLinx...

The OK LED will flash red when the controller is brand new and has only the "v1.0" bootloader firmware on it.

Yes, RSLinx is a prerequisite for any communications between a Rockwell product or tool and the controller.

I've literally never had to troubleshoot a USB connection to a Rockwell controller; it's worked 100% of the time, the first time.

The RA Knowledgebase suggests that's not the case for everybody, though, and gives directions for how to reinstall the USB drivers off the RSLinx installation media/directories (X:\Redist\RSLinx\ENU\Redist\KN64Bit_x.x.xx\DriverPkgx64.msi), and/or how to do some other fixes to RSLinx.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/522486

If you don't have a TechConnect contract, ring up your friendly neighborhood RA distributor for help.

The OK LED will flash red when the controller is brand new and has only the "v1.0" bootloader firmware on it.

Yes, RSLinx is a prerequisite for any communications between a Rockwell product or tool and the controller.

I've literally never had to troubleshoot a USB connection to a Rockwell controller; it's worked 100% of the time, the first time.

The RA Knowledgebase suggests that's not the case for everybody, though, and gives directions for how to reinstall the USB drivers off the RSLinx installation media/directories (X:\Redist\RSLinx\ENU\Redist\KN64Bit_x.x.xx\DriverPkgx64.msi), and/or how to do some other fixes to RSLinx.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/522486

If you don't have a TechConnect contract, ring up your friendly neighborhood RA distributor for help.

Thanks, Ken. Just sent an email off to our distributor and hope to hear back from them tomorrow because I do not have access. I will also search elsewhere as to how to reinstall usb drivers in RSLinx.