Collecting data from Siemens Comfort Panel

Taco

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I have a few Siemens S7-1200 PLC's with TP700 Comfort HMI's (each PLC has it's own HMI).
These PLC's just count products, and the amount made bij every shift, every hour, every order, etc.
I put all these data in a CSV file on an SD-card in the HMI. (because the PLC can't handle that large amount of retentive data).
These PLC's have to be connected to a 'main' PLC. I want to import the data from the HMI's to the main PLC. Is this possible, or is the only way to get data using GET and PUT?

Thanks for helping me out.

You cannot use get/put to communicate with the HMI but you can read the log using script and handshake over the data to the PLC but that is not a good solution if you have plenty of data since the script engine of the HMI will be locked until all of the data is processed and that can take some time.

Even if it is the S7-1200 CPUs that do the logging, with several S7-1200 PLCs that have to send data to the main PLC via some kind of protocol, it gets complicated real quick.

How about that it is the main PLC that does the logging of data ?
That will be much easier to implement.

I even think that in the way you describe it, there should just have been decentralized i/o for the main PLC, rather than CPUs.
The TP700 can be connected to the main PLC as easily as if they are connected to the small PLCs.
But since you probably already have the hardware, you have to find a way to do it.

One thing to be aware of if you run out of connections. With both a CPU and a HMI at each location, you risk that the main PLC runs out of connections.
If the S7-1200 can be hooked up as I-Device for the main PLC, they will not use up a connection on the main PLC.