When is a popup not a popup?

martinshaw

Hi

I have just been out to an RSView32 V7.50.00 application. They have a popup that displays over any display when a condition becomes true in the connected PLC. The popup can be closed if the condition is acknowledged or the condition goes false. In this context, it works correctly.

However, the problem they have presented to me is that if the popup comes on and they don't close it, but they navigate to a different display, the popup disappears, even though the condition causing the popup is still true in the PLC.

I have checked the display settings and the popup display is set as 'on top' and the underlying displays are set as 'replace'. My take on this is its doing exactly what it its being told to do, so is there a mechanism to keep the popup on the screen even if navigating to different displays?

Thanks

Martin

I would make it so that the popup window is large enough that you cannot navigate to another screen without clearing it. If you want to be able to see the "underneath" buttons, make the majority of the window transparent.

Both answers are valid, but not really what I am after.

I double checked the manual and found the following:-

On Top
Use this option to keep the graphic display on top at all times. It will
remain on top even if another display has focus. However, if more
than one graphic display of the On Top type is open at once, the
display that has focus, or had the most recent focus, appears on top.
Use the PullForward, PushBack, and SetFocus commands to cycle
through multiple On Top and Overlay screens.

So what this is saying is that if the popup is 'On Top', it should take precedence over other displays unless the displays are 'On Top' themselves. This is exactly the scenario I have but clearly isn't working like this.

If I can't get this to work as I think it should, I will introduce a timer, perhaps using the system\second function where the popup will run if the PLC condition is true and the second value is say equal to 30 (or something). I could put in multiple time checks, 10, 20, 30 etc but at least I would only ever be less than a minute before the popup appeared.

If you open 'Display Settings' for the pop up, you have a 'Cannot Be Replaced' check box. If you tick this, the pop up will be still be displayed after changing screens.

Edit: Apologies, missed the RSView 32 part in the original issue, and answered with FT View in mind.

Last edited:
It could be achieved by using 'Logic and Control' to monitor both the condition which opens the pop up, and monitoring if the pop up is displayed.

Create a new tag to which will hold the status of the pop up - in this example it is called 'PopupOn'.

When the pop up is opened, run a macro which writes the value 1 into 'PopupOn'. When the pop up is closed write 0 into 'PopupOn'.

Create an event which monitors the status of 'PopupOn' and your condition for opening displaying the pop up. The action should be displaying your pop up display.
An expression such as 'not PopupOn && [condition for pop up]' should be sufficient.'

This means when the operator changes the display, when the popup is enabled, it will be re-opened when the next display is displayed.

(Remember to start the event)