Vulnerability Exposes Rockwell Controllers to DoS Attacks

VAN

https://www.securityweek.com/vulnerability-exposes-rockwell-controllers-dos-attacks

Am I missing something, this seems like a fairly trivial issue.

Meaning, if someone has a connection to your local process network they could easily knock your controllers communication offline.

Duplicate IP address, or even use RSLinx and jump onto the back plane.

So, while this is a vulnerability I would assume the bigger issue is why anything has access to your local process network.

edit - I searched to see if this was already talked about and didn't see anything.

Last edited:
you mean you don't plug the PLC directly into the cable modem???

I just mean in general, at a site that the network isn't connected to the internet directly (layered).

Kind of old news. It's been addressed in firmware updates, but some of the oldest affected products cannot be updated.

Right, v11 covers EN2T but ENBT doesn't have a fix that I'm aware of, but I just don't see the issue? If you wanted to disrupt a network, their is so many ways to do it. The last threat rating this has I remember seeing is 8+ out of 10, and it just doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't seems like a pressing issue.

Poor code and network architecture will smash your PLC's connection too, but people seem less interested in that :ROFLMAO:

I found a hydro electric plant in BC or Alberta on shodan looking for open modbus ports. Could connect with unity and download the program. I couldn't tell who owned it or how to contact them though.

I guess looking at open ports isn't illegal.

Is connecting to them?

I realize malicious damage or taking data is certainly illegal. Is just watching through a camera like mentioned earlier?