Particle Counter vs HMI communication Issue

RockyNivas

Hello everyone,

I am interfacing AB PLC with a particle counter SC200 using RS Logix 5000. The particle counter value on its screen and the value which is showing in the HMI is totally different. The current value has been set to 4-20 mA and getting the values in the form of percentage from the PLC. I would like to know whether do I need get the values in the format of "Engineering" or I have to make changes in some other thing.

Kindly help me to sort it out.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Rocky and welcome to the forum. Are you showing the value in your logic as a percentage, either a real number or a DINT? If so, and you didn't say which HMI you had or the software, but anyway, set up a move instruction and move that value into a tag, some of the ones I've made would say, for example on one of my projects "Supply_Fans_VFD_PCT_PV_IND. Then reference that tag to the display value on your HMI. Hope this helps. I may not have understood correctly, if so, sorry.

Hi Sault,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am using Proface HMI. While moving the values to a tag I have converted it into DINT. Is that okay ? Or I have to get the values in float first then I have to convert it into DINT. Please help me.

Thank you once again.

Rocky, hi.
I would say that whatever your value is in the logic, then make that data type in your HMI. I haven't dealt with that software, but it ought to be similar in most HMI's. Remember if you use a real number in A-B it will be rounded if it's moved into a DINT tag, and A-B rounds stuff like that a little weird--you'll have to look at the manual. So if you need accuracy, then go Real to Real (float) and you ought not to have problems. One of these other pros on here may have used that HMI software and can help you with a little more detail. Hope this helps.

First, collect some data sets: for the same measurement, write down the value in RSLogix 5000 and on the Particle Counter display screen.

Next, investigate the analog input on the ControlLogix/CompactLogix. What exact part number is it ? If it has onboard scaling, how is that scaling configured.

Next, investigate exactly which ControlLogix/CompactLogix tag the HMI is displaying, and whether or not it does any scaling or manipulation of the value.

There are multiple ways in which the data might be getting scaled or interpreted or transmitted differently. There is no satisfactory substitute for "figuring it all out" step by step.