Is Siemens S7 SUS Necessary?

zacslade

Hi all,

Do I need Siemens Software Update Service if I only want to keep programming PLCs at my current revision of the software? Can I buy the update whenever I need it, or will my software stop working when SUS expires?

Thanks,

The SUS is only beneficial if you buy it at the same time you buy your software. The SUS is valid for one year, which means you will receive upgrades to the new versions that are released within that year. It is not mandatory to purchase an SUS: your software will function fine. For software like STEP 7 and WinCC, service packs are typically a free download. Version upgrades are not free.

SUS is Siemens way of collecting rent. If you are constantly developping, I find that it is worth it (300ÂŁ per year or so). If you have a certain plant to maintain, then a single version will be ok.