Increasing force and also reducing travel distance required

Timeismoney08

I have an application where I need to reduce the travel of an actuator and also double the force. How can you do that manually, without the help of any additional force?

I imagine we can't make one better without hurting the other.

Thank you.

Picture the output shaft of a gearbox. When you double the ratio, for the same amount of torque and rotation at the input, you get twice the torque and half the rotation at the output.

The problem is I need a way to have twice the torque and twice the rotation. I don't think it's achievable when you think of the physics of it, but maybe I can do some additional gearing.

Think about how a pry bar or crowbar actually works, then build a lever to do what you are trying to do. Actuator drives long end of lever, work connected to short end of lever. Both ends are referenced to pivot point for length.

BTW, twice the torque and twice the amount of rotation, (post #4), is different compared to the original definition, (post #1), of the problem.

Last edited:
The First Law of Thermodynamics is inviolable. If you want twice the force and twice the distance you need four times the energy input.

Your second post contradicts your first. Get a grip on your problem and objective, and maybe post a diagram of your system. Until then you will only get SWAG answers. (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess).

I agree with Tom,
your posts are confusing.

please sit down and figure out what you need.
then post it.
double the force and shorten the stroke - ok
double the force and double the rotation - ok.

pick one, you can't have both

james

I agree with Tom,
your posts are confusing.

please sit down and figure out what you need.
then post it.
double the force and shorten the stroke - ok
double the force and double the rotation - ok.

pick one, you can't have both

james

Also, it would help to say what your system is, or at least what kind of actuator

The problem is I need a way to have twice the torque and twice the rotation. I don't think it's achievable when you think of the physics of it, but maybe I can do some additional gearing.

This is as if you say I want in my car double torque and double speed rotation by changing only the gearbox ... it simply does not make sense.

You need a 4 times more powerful motor, with all the electrical equipment, gearing and transmission adecuated for the new power