HMI-CAB-C49 QuickPanel Programming Cable

marty911

Looking to find a programming cable to download an already developed Quick Panel application which I have the software for. The hardware is a QPK-2D200-L2P-E Monochrome 6" LCD 24V and I think from what I've seen within the manual and the afforded min DIN Tool Connector Port on the Hardware that I need a HMI-CAB-C49 to complete the connection to download the file. Issue is when searching for the HMI-CAB-C49 cable there are a couple variants with a trailing letter within the part number -H or -J as well as a couple without any trailing letter. My assumption would be that the trailing alpha character is the version of the cable with the -H being an earlier release then then -J (not sure what the lack of a trailing alpha character indicates). I also haven't seen any matrix in regards to compatibility of the hardware with a specific cable version, and with the Total Control Product line absorbed its difficult to find information. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated as my experience with the product line is somewhat limited. Thanks in advance for the help.(y)

Last edited:
Legacy Software

Not sure that cable is been tested as the following disclaimer within the listing for the cable GPW-CB02 indicates it might not be operational:

Tested with Proface GP ProPB software.... QuickDesigner software will not work with this cable, if you are using QuickDesigner see our store for the correct cable (see link below)

Having said that the listing for the GPw-CB02 does have a link to a USB-GPW-CB03 /a which contains the following disclaimer which leads me to believe that it might be a better fit with what I am requiring:

NEW and improved.... now works with both GE QuickPanel (Proficy ME & QuickDesigner) and Proface GP ProPB GE QuickPanel Proficy ME View HMI Cable / Proface USB-GPW-CB03a
This cable has been tested with GE QuickPanel QPI3D200E2P-B QPJ2D100L2P-A

The information below is from a friend that has done some extensive testing with the GE software
"This is the easiest and quickest cable I have used on any QuickPanel to date with no need to load any drivers manually.

It works flawlessly in Proficy Machine Edition 9.00 under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and PME 7.50 running in a Virtual Windows XP on the same computer. The only difference is that in the Windows 7 machine it came up as COM5 and in the Virtual Windows XP machine as COM3.
I also had no trouble using this with QuickDesigner 3.70 on the Windows XP Virtual machine.

All three software options were tested uploading and downloading to both a very old 12.1" TCP QuickPanel version 2 and 10" TCP QuickPanel version 3. Which are the only two I have to 'play' with right now."

Wondering if anyone has any personal experience with similar type hardware utilizing such cables. Thanks again for the help.

But... Proface says the download for QuickDesigner for the QPK-xTDx-0000 panels is GPW-CB02:

http://www.profaceamerica.com/sites...679607bc14927f00/qpk_xtdx_0000__ds_052009.pdf

I am 100% sure I have used GPW-CB02 and GPW-CB03 with QuickPanels... and I have used QuickDesigner V3.7 (Proface and GE Editions) in Windows XP with no problems.

Proface manufactured QuickPanels for Total Control Products, and continued when GE acquired TCP.

Not sure that cable is been tested as the following disclaimer within the listing for the cable GPW-CB02 indicates it might not be operational:

Marty,
Looks like you copied that info from my website... and yes the USB CB02 is not compatible with all the software and HMI's but we have had very good luck with our USB CB03a (the a was added by us), see the link below

https://www.plccable.com/ge-quickpa...-me-view-gp-propb-hmi-proface-usb-gpw-cb03-a/

We have a 60 day money back and lifetime replacement if it ever fails

This is the link to where Russ did the testing for us http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=96477

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for all the help, the whole thing of these obsolete product lines that are absorbed into other is difficult to navigate and without the help of some fellow tinkerers it can become quickly overwhelming. The CB03 mentioned has been ordered and should arrive next week. When it is received I will follow up with results with the specifics in relation to the software and hardware used. Thanks again for the help.

UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD COMPLETE

Gentlemen,

I received the cable (GPW-CB03a) loaded up the software, drivers and attempted to get online. A couple items internal to that which appeared to be a bit clunky but not exactly sure what was the issue, as the reboots of the virtualized computer and loading of the software without completing a reboot. Regardless to a couple issues encountered where the software was recognizing the terminal but unable to perform an upload or download, after a clean reboot and reinitializing the USB cable as well as the Quick Designer software the ability to communicate to the terminal in both directions was achieved and repeatable. Following would be some of the vitals related to the details related to the instance:

Virtualization: VM_Ware Workstation 10.0.7 build 2844087
Virt PC OS: Windows XP SP3
HMI Software: Quick Designer 3.70 Build 1085

HMI Hardware: Quick Panel JR QPK2D100L2P-E
Comm Cable Hardware: GPW-CB03a
Comm Cable Device ID: USB-SERIAL CH341A
Cbl Driver Version: 3.4.2014.8
Cbl Driver WebSite: www.winchiphead.com
Cbl Driver Provider: wch.cn
Cbl Driver COMM Port: COM 8

Not sure any of the above is useful but for my sanity should this installation rear its ugly head in the future it will be nice to have some details related to what was successful in the past. Thanks again for the help in getting this done.