Panelview Plus 600 and 1769-L30ER

mhammer214

I have a system where I replaced a SLC5/04 with a CompactLogix 5370 1769-L30ER. There is also a PanelView Plus 600 2711P-T6C8D Ser C that was connected to the SLC through a 2711P-RN8 DH+ communication module. I now have the PanelView and CompactLogix connected through ethernet.
I changed the shortcut to the L30ER processor and linked to the new ACD file as the offline tag database and assigned the shortcut to the processor.
After creating a runtime as version 5.1 I get this in the validation results:
"WARNING: Unsupported device detected. Shortcut name = "Main". Device name = "WO_ROY". Description: The system has detected that a device that is not supported in the requested version is referenced by a shortcut. This situation may not cause any runtime error if the system, upon which this project is to be run, has received a patch or has been upgraded to a newer version that support for this device. Otherwise runtime errors will be detected and logged in the target system when the system attempts to communicate to that device. "
It seems that the L30ER is too new to be supported in the PanelView 5.1 firmware.

Is there any way I can make this work without replacing the PanelView?
I have FTView Studio 8.20 installed.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

You have told us about the warning message, but other than that, what is not "working"?

Have you transferred the 5.10 MER application file to the PanelView Plus 600 terminal and tested it?

FactoryTalk View Studio 8.20 supports the selection of the 5370 1769-L30ER controller, but which firmware revision is the controller actually at? (This will be important later!)...

The 5.10 application is somewhat older and not all PanelView Plus firmware revisions at 5.10.xx support the 5370 CompactLogix controllers. As the View Studio software does not know which 5.10.xx firmware revision is being used in the PanelView Plus terminal that will run the application, the warning message is to prompt you that there "may" be issues. But then again, there "may" not...

This situation may not cause any runtime error if the system, upon which this project is to be run, has received a patch or has been upgraded to a newer version that (has) support for this device

(Why don't they proof read this stuff?)

If your PanelView Plus 600 terminal is using firmware revision 5.10.08 or higher (latest is 5.10.16) then it will support the 5.10 application with a Shortcut assigned to a 5370 CompactLogix controller. If the firmware revision is pre 5.10.08, then you have to flash upgrade the terminal's firmware to 5.10.08 minimum. If your terminal does happen to require a flash upgrade, this will sort the compatibility issue at the terminal, but it does not get rid of the warning message. This is part of the software's detection of the configuration of an older application version and a newer Logix controller.

During the creation of a 5.10 MER application file, the warning message is essentially embedded into the Validation Results text file once the Shortcut is to a newer type Logix controller. The MER application file is still created. Once you know your PanelView Plus terminal is flashed to a firmware revision that supports the controller, you can ignore the warning message, transfer the application to the terminal, and all other things being equal, it should communicate successfully.

However, there is one caveat - if we go back to the firmware revision the 5370 controller is at...

PanelView Plus firmware revision 5.10.08 or higher will communicate with 5370 controllers, but not at revision 30 or higher. If your controller is at firmware revision 30 then the terminal needs to be at firmware revision 9.00 minimum. As this is not available for the PanelView Plus 600, a PanelView Plus 6/7 terminal or equivalent would be required. If using a PanelView Plus 6/7 terminal with a firmware revision 30 controller, then FactoryTalk View Studio v9.00 minimum would also be required to select the correct controller firmware revision.

Great fun, isn't it?

So what controller firmware revision is the 1769-L30ER actually flashed to?
"If" it were at 30, one could also consider flashing the firmware down to a lower revision for compatibility, but that requires some consideration.

There are also ways to circumvent the lack of support in certain circumstances. Like selecting another similar but supported Logix controller as the Shortcut (but not for circumventing revision 30 controllers).

Example: Using 1769-L33ER for the Shortcut instead of an actual 5069-L330ER controller

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I had similar issue with L7x years ago with RSLinx Enterprise CPR9 SR6, it would not let you configure a new topic, but the original topic still worked if you didn't mess with it.

Hi,

<You have told us about the warning message, but other than that, what is not "working"? >
Any data fields are showing "Error", animations that show a different color for a motor running or stopped shows a "skeleton image".

<Have you transferred the 5.10 MER application file to the PanelView Plus 600 terminal and tested it? >
Yes, I transferred it with a USB stick.

<FactoryTalk View Studio 8.20 supports the selection of the 5370 1769-L30ER controller, but which firmware revision is the controller actually at? (This will be important later!)...>
V24

<If your PanelView Plus 600 terminal is using firmware revision 5.10.08 or higher (latest is 5.10.16) then it will support the 5.10 application with a Shortcut assigned to a 5370 CompactLogix controller.>
The PanelView is at 5.10.00.09, so it looks like I will have to flash it to a newer firmware.

Thank you George for pointing me in the right direction. Now if the Rockwell website for the firmware downloads would just play along I think I would be set.

Just an update.
I flashed the PanelView to 5.10.16.09 and it is now communicating with the processor.
Thanks again George. :site: