Slow performance DF-1 communication

nightline

Gents,

I've serveral SLC5/03 PLC here, and have a very slow communication performance with all of them.
I've a Dell M6500 lap-top running on W7 64 bit
RSLinx version 3.60
RSLogix500 version 9.00
Communication DF-1 19200 over Profilic USB-Serial converter and an 1747-CP3 cable.
If I check the performance while downloading, it will never be greater than 4 packets a second.

Can anyone give me some tips to get this communication any faster?

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Are you getting any errors in the RSLinx driver diagnostics (or in the SLC port diagnostics) ?

If you are not seeing port errors, the USB converter is probably the issue. Some just don't work well, and some don't work well with Windows 7 x64.

I strongly recommend the Keyspan USA-19HS USB/RS232 converter.

Hi Ken,

I see Unmatched reply packets and ENQ's received counting up...
I'll check for the Keyspan.

I've also tried the A-B USBS-9300, but that one is more expensive and worse in use.

With a bunch of ENQs and error counters, you may also be experiencing some physical wiring problems or electrical interference.

Experiment with the error counters with your laptop (if it's a laptop) running off battery power. If you an introduce an RS-232 isolator, try that.

Yes, I'm working with a lap-top, and will check if it makes any difference, working on battery power or net power.

Got here a 1761-NET-AIC, can this be used as isolator?

Yes, I'm working with a lap-top, and will check if it makes any difference, working on battery power or net power.

Got here a 1761-NET-AIC, can this be used as isolator?

I found the 1761-NET-AIC manual, and see that can be used as a RS232 isolator. So I will check this.

Tried serveral things, with different results:
-profilic converter with 1747-cp3 gives bad performance
-profilic converter with 1761-NET-AIC gives the best results of performance, but the communication drops time after time
-on battery or net power gives nearly no difference
-profilic converter straight on the PLC gives a little better performance
-USBS-9300 converter straight on the PLC gives a much better performance when on net power
-USBS-9300 converter with 1747-CP3 cable gives the same response as a straight connection.
At a baud-rate of 19200 the performance is around 10 packets a second.
Can you give any idea if this is good, or still weak?