Siemens S7-1200: Looking for Instruction Books

alive15

Hello, hope you guys are well today. Our company recently purchased some machines with Siemens PLC. I have worked for few years with Allen Bradley plcs only. Could you recommend any books specifically discussing Siemens plcs, such as instruction set, programming examples, comms, data types, etc.

I have found many manuals online, such as the programming manual / instruction set for my specific controller, but if anyone recommends any hard-cover books written by engineers that would make for some excellent reading, please recommend to me.

Also, if anyone has any tips / advice to help me understand Siemens better since I am coming from AB side, that would be great. Looking forward to trying out the new plc / Step 7 software.

Thanks,

There's a book by Hans something or the other that I purchased online in pdf format and barely looked at it. I use Siemens resources: tutorials, examples and forums extensively.

You can use PLCSIM to start then depending on how competent you want to be start buying hardware and use it. Most companies I dealt with keep CPUs and I/Os on hand if they have them in multiple machines or if the machine is too important to stay down multiple days. If that is your case take advantage of it and use the hardware.

Siemens:

SIOSP

Example search in SIOSP

Training for industry

SITRAIN Web based training.

Tutorial center

Webinar archive

I'm missing on link, I'll post it when I find it.

Best advice for Siemens PLCs, coming from another brand, is to try to learn how the new devices want to be used. If you try to shoehorn them into the way to you used to use an AB PLC, you're gonna have a bad time.

The Hans Berger books are pretty good; they are more of a textbook type format as compared to the hard core reference manual that is a Siemens manual.

I 2nd the links that genius posted for the 1200. Those were exactly the ones I was planning to link.

Hi,
I have almost all H.Berger books(and many more) but to say the truth these are only copy of
system manuals (s7-1200,1500 etc.)....so from this point of view useless and expensive....

Thanks for all the links, I just went through the manual and watched some youtube videos to pick up a general understanding, coming from AB.

One question, does anyone know how to "wrap" the network / rung onto the next line? I would like to see the entire network on one screen, I find it very difficult moving the scroll left and right, as I cannot see all my inputs at the same time. This makes my troubleshooting a bit difficult.

@Kalabdel Yes, that was the very first thing I tried last week, but the lowest I can go is 50%, but this is still not enough to view the entire network on one screen. Is there no option to wrap the ladder down onto the next line?

@plcisgreat Thanks for the link man

@geniusintraining Haha, yes, that would be one solution. Maybe I should order one of those triple screen laptops, have you seen those? See attached image.

triple screen laptop.jpg

Is there no option to wrap the ladder down onto the next line?

Not that I've ever seen.

Sometimes people try to break the logic up to make it more readable, sometimes people just do a lot of scrolling.