SLC to ControlLogix DeviceNet Addressing

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am migrating an Allen-Bradley SLC based system to ControlLogix and need some help with DeviceNet addressing. The SLC system has a 1747-SDN and I am using a 1756-DNB in the new system. The system only has digital I/O on DeviceNet. In the SLC system the 1747-SDN module is mounted in slot 11 so the addressing simply uses O0:11 for the output data table and I1:11 for the input data table. There are no analog I/O. I am not able to scan the DeviceNet network at this point. (It is at a customer location) Is there a way to set up the addressing ahead of time. Do I need to know the part numbers of the specific devices being used? I do know they are selector switches for the inputs and pilot lights and solenoids for the outputs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ideally you would have the full *.DNT RSNetworx for DeviceNet project file, which would include the 1747-SDN's Scanlist and data mapping.

You need to know exactly what the devices on the network are, and have them inserted into and configured in the RSNetworx project, before you can correctly configure them in the 1756-DNB's Scanlist and data map.

You can certainly infer the data sizes and devices if you have wiring diagrams or a network description, and you go through the Input and Output data files in the SLC program carefully.

But to actually configure the 1756-DNB, you will need all the details about the devices on the network.

Thanks Ken for the info. I don't have the original .DNT project file but I will reach out to the customer to see if I can get that.

In regards to the addressing tell me if I am thinking correctly. In the SLC the addressing is as follows:

Inputs - I:11.1/0, I:11.1/1
Outputs - O:11.1/0, O:11.1/1

So only bits 0 and 1 are used in each word starting with word 11.1

The addressing then goes to word 11.2 with only bits 0 and 1 being used then to word 11.3, etc.

In my Studio 5000 project the 1756-DNB is in slot 2 of my rack so I have in controller tags, Local:2:I.Data and Local:2:O.Data. Is it feasible to think that the DeviceNet addressing could be Local:2:I.Data[1].0 and Local:2:I.Data[1].1
for the digital inputs, and Local:2:O.Data[1].0 and Local:2:O.Data[1].1 for the digital outputs?