RS Logix 5000-Exporting/Importing Routines to another RS Logix 5000 Program

Good Morning ,

I would like to integrate a CompactLogix program into another CompactLogix program that is running another machine. I would like to Export the sub-routines, that I have in the PLC that I'm getting rid of , and Import into the other CompactLogix .

I understand how to Export and Import a sub-routine within the same program , but how do you Export and Import these sub-routines into a different Compactlogix program ? I guess the tags go with them ?

I guess it is somehat similer , correct ?

Thanks so much for your advice ,

Import/Export will re-create all datatypes, AOIs and Tags automatically and more important will preserve data in these tags.
If you have MSG instructions, it will keep configuration for these.
Copy/Paste
Create missing tags
This Copy/Paste process will loose all tag data

Baker in Virginia said:
Good Morning ,

I would like to integrate a CompactLogix program into another CompactLogix program that is running another machine. I would like to Export the sub-routines, that I have in the PLC that I'm getting rid of , and Import into the other CompactLogix .

I understand how to Export and Import a sub-routine within the same program , but how do you Export and Import these sub-routines into a different Compactlogix program ? I guess the tags go with them ?

I guess it is somehat similer , correct ?

Thanks so much for your advice ,

Export/Import "takes" a "copy" the component out of the project and "pastes" it into the Import project, but it also brings the tags across (give or take a couple of exceptions). Whether Importing back into the same project or a different project, it attempts to do the same thing. So yes, it is similar, or pretty much identical.

"Copy/Paste" will only bring the instructions across and the tag "names", which then require creation/scoping. Handy when you want the logic but not really the tags. But for "integration", as you appear to want here, definitely Export/Import.

Import/Export Project Components Programming Manual

Logix5000 Controllers Import/Export Reference Manual

Regards,
George

Last edited:
The easiest way is usually to export the subroutine from the first PLC and then import it into the second PLC. The tags are then automatically created for you. In some cases you might have issues if exporting/importing from one version of RSLogix into another.

You can also export and import rungs instead of a whole subroutine.

If the export/import doesn't work, then try copy/paste but then you will have to recreate tags.

As for the procedure......

In the source application, right-click on the Program, Routine, or rungs that you wish to export and select Export (Program/Routine/Rungs). Give it a file name and you will see it will create a new file with a .L5X extension.

In the destination application, if you are importing a program then right-click on the task where you want the new program to be created and select Import Program. In newer versions of software you will select Add then Import Program

If you are importing a routine then right-click on the program where the routine should be created and select Import Routine. In newer versions of software you will select Add then Import Routine

If you are importing ladder rungs then right-click on the rung # where the rungs should be added and select Import Rungs.

After the import you may see a window pop up with some additional configuration or status information.

As already stated, there is a big difference between copy and paste and importing/exporting.

OG

Programmed to Project the Word...

Baker in Virginia said:
...I would like to integrate a CompactLogix program into another CompactLogix program that is running another machine. I would like to Export the sub-routines, that I have in the PLC that I'm getting rid of , and Import into the other CompactLogix .

I understand how to Export and Import a sub-routine...

Fair dues OG. I had read "I understand..." so I didn't bother getting too instructional, as I normally like to do. But you'd never know?

Another important distinction I'd like to make here, as I see this particular reference a lot when dealing specifically with Logix 5000 projects. I've highlighted the word "program" above from the opening post.

For Logix 5000 controllers - as the structure of the entire project permits the use of many "Programs" within many "Tasks", we should get into the better habit of referring to the entire project as the "Project", as I will always try to do. Many refer to the entire project as the "program", but that is not strictly true in the sense of what may exist in the actual project. There may be many Programs within a project, as we many of us know. So we should really only use the term "Program" when we are actually referring to a Program within a Logix 5000 project, or any project following the Standards.

When dealing with topics like the one we have here, confusion can arise when trying to describe, or trying to read, the intended meaning. My gut here says that "program" is a reference to the entire project. But what if the intention was just to Export/Import Routines from within an actual single Program from within a Task? Two very different levels of "integration" would be on the cards here, wouldn't it?

We all know "program" is historically a loose term we often use in day to day business. But within the Programming Standards, its definition is quite specific as a Program Organization Unit (POU). A subset of a PLC/PAC project.

Maybe I'm too literal? It's just the way I am coded. I am "programmed to project the word", and the word for today is...details.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. So far , So good . Got some cleaning up to do . Issues with inputs and outputs . I may reach out again when I get further
along . Thanks for all your help .