Length Measurement using FX5U

Gez07

I need to measure length using an encoder connected to the high speed counter input of a Mitsubishi FX5U.
Can anyone offer advice please, on how to do this? Replies in ladder format if possible as i'm not good with FB programming.

Not sure if you are using the existing x0 to X .. for high speed or if you are using a high speed counter card, however if using high speed digital inputs X0 > then see attached single phase code, note all you need to do is enable the high speed counters as shown i.e. C235 to C23xx with an always on bit
The input is automatically tied to the appropriate high speed counter.
I currently do not have updated GX Dev for FX5 but it should be the same as FX3U etc.
The code shown is for a high speed water meter so should give you an idea providing the speed of the pulses are less than the stated counts per second of the high speed inputs.

Hi Parky
Thanks, but FX5 uses a different counter system to FX3.
The HSC, once enabled seems to just carry on counting but you can transfer count to DRs and manipulate data. However I've now found that I can set my count value in table format and set a flag when count reaches that figure, I'm assuming, if i set that at pulses / meter then I can use flag to increase a DR every meter. I'm going to try it later this week.
FX3 to FX5 is a big step up in software capability, daunting at first, but worth the effort.
You also need GXWorks 3 to program it.

According to the manual and in GX works 3 you can run it in FX3 compatible mode, however I believe that the simulator will not function in the correct manner using the HSC function so would need a PLC, I believe by setting the counter in compatible mode & manipulating & comparing the relevant counter LC35 I noticed that you can reset this. Another possibility is to set say X0 as an interrupt and increment a Data memory in the call to the interrupt & do the comparisons & reset and manipulate the data.
Edit: I noticed that when compiling that it warns the input is 10ms and may be limited on speed, however in the short time I played with this I could not set it to a smaller value.

Last edited:
Just read a little more on the FX 5 and now understand how it is configured To reset the counter you just use [DHCMOV K0 SD4500 K1]
To enable the counter int. LD SM412 [HIOEN K0 K1 K0]
Also remember to change the input filter on X0 (if this is the high speed input)
I assume in your case the encoder is running all the time, therefore there must be a sensor detecting the part or what ever, you could use the logic to only enable the HSC during this time or just reset it at product detection.
In my case the flow meter I used only provides pulses when there is flow so when I initiate the control valve I reset the counter on a one shot that way I only count pulses from 0 to xxx then convert them to liters.