InTouch 9.5/DASABCIP can't read tags from CLX PLC

ryangriggs

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, we have a Wonderware InTouch (v9.5) application that reads data from several older Compact/ControlLogix PLCs (v.15 firmware) using DASABCIP. We just added a new Logix5333 PLC (v32 firmware) and I created a very simple PLC program to simply copy the inputs to tags.
I added this PLC in the InTouch SMC (DASABCIP) exactly like all the others we were already accessing. Then I added an Access Name in InTouch to match what I added in SMC.

The SMC DASABCIP diagnostics section reports that the tags are being read properly (i.e. quality == 0x00C0, and a green icon beside them). But the data values shown in SMC never change. Basically these are just a bunch of BOOL values, but they are stuck on False. I can even force the values to True on the PLC but they never update in SMC, even though SMC shows that they are being updated every second.
Here's a screenshot of the tags in SMC diagnostic:
yh5h

The SMC log contains the following entries, generated every second:
"Encountered the following error in reply message <070bc698> when reading from PORT_CIP_000.GENERATOR.BACKPLANE.GENERATOR"
"STS=1E: Errors encountered with the items in the message"

I tried resetting DASABCIP, as well as Deactivating and Reactivating, and also rebooting the PC running the DASABCIP server. I also disabled Auto Load Tags and Use Persisted Tags to avoid caching of old data.

One tag even seems to be flipping from False to True randomly in InTouch. On the PLC, it's set to False and isn't changing.

Is this being caused by something in the CLX v32 firmware? Is it possible the Ethernet/IP protocol was updated resulting in an incompatibility with the version of DASABCIP in Wonderware InTouch 9.5?

Thanks for any advice.

I am pretty sure that the latest Logix controllers WW connectivity will require an 'OI.ABCIP' type driver as opposed to the 'old' DASABCIP which, at V5.0, I believe will connect only as 'high' as L7x/LxxERM Rev.28.

That's good to know, thank you! I guess the simplest way to avoid purchasing additional licenses (for the OI.ABCIP driver) is to downgrade the new PLC's firmware to 28... You agree?

Thanks again for this info.

I am pretty sure that the latest Logix controllers WW connectivity will require an 'OI.ABCIP' type driver as opposed to the 'old' DASABCIP which, at V5.0, I believe will connect only as 'high' as L7x/LxxERM Rev.28.

Since downgrading controller firmware is frowned upon around 'here' I personally don't endorse it unless in an emergency situation...However, one has to do whatever it takes...:D...

That's what I had to do recently. Went from v30 back to v21. But we were not using anything that v30 had that v21 didn't so no big deal. It was that or upgrade 15 Wonderware terminals and customer said no, mainly because next year they are going to all FTView (oh boy).

Thanks for the replies. I will plan to downgrade the PLC firmware, since this PLC is doing absolutely nothing except passing through some boolean inputs.
FYI I contacted our Wonderware distributor and got a price for the OI server, which is around $1200 USD, and also requires Windows 7 or better to run. Unfortunately our existing InTouch is 9.5 and won't run on anything newer than XP/2003, so this is a dead end until we get a decision to upgrade.

Hopefully the FW downgrade will be sufficient to get this new PLC to talk.